Feb 24, 2012

Insert Coin(s) PRESS START is a thing of the past.

I knew that Arcades were dying a long time ago, but Today it hit me very hard when the largest and oldest Local Time Out closed and now a big chunk of empty space lies in its place.
I dropped on my knees and yelled "NOOOOOOOOO!!" just as I did many years ago when KB Toys closed down. (I know it sounds a bit melodramatic and over the top, but these two places had a special place in my heart.) Now who's going to teach kids that drugs are bad!?

Or, Hell... That means that there's no more of THIS!

OK, I hate the DDR Douches, but still, they WERE a part of Arcade History!!

Things like these are a thing of the past... Now Everything is Online Multiplayer Experience...
Sure, Online can bring us "closer" as we can... I'll Let Jim Carrey explain it:

Call me old-school, but I DO miss the Arcade... sure, they were Quarter guzzling traps, but it WAS fun...
I mean, playing Hang-On while Riding a Bike-like Contraption surely beats the crap about doing it with a Sega Master System Controller... Or Teaming Up with the 4 Turtles to defeat Shredder and Krang instead of being just two Turtles on the NES... Or how about the first Fatality! Now Arcade sticks like the NES Advantage and the others that came after it (to their respective consoles) won't make sense to modern kids...

It's kinda sad that this is almost a reality...
I used to have braces and from 97 to 2000 my Orthodontist's office was at a mall with 2 ARCADES! (The more expensive one near the food court and the "lamer/cheaper one on the first level) So, every last Friday of each month, I left school early for my appointment (also the monthly Teachers' meeting meant that school was over at noon) and from 1:00 till 4:30 the Mall was my Playground... Guess where I spent most of the time...
Marvel Superheroes, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Darkstalkers 3, King of Fighters 95 and 96 were my biggest time killers...
Even in my first year of College I spent a lot of time at the Arcade... (This one was a bit too shady, but it had DDR that only required 1 coin per game...) There it was Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Capcom vs SNK that got most of my coinage.

Where am I going with this? Simple... The Arcades are dying... All the games go straight to consoles now... Can you picture how awesome it would have been to play an ARCADE version of MVC3, Street Fighter Cross Tekken, or any recent fighter? Heck even playing some older games like Silent Scope or Time Crisis the way they were MEANT to be played...

The only true element missing from the arcade in this online world is the face-to-face social experience with the other player(s)... which is in part the BEST PART of the Arcade experience... something that no headset or keyboard will replace.

No comments:

Post a Comment