Aug 24, 2020

It came from the Toy Chest: Oranges He-Man

I got an Oranges He-Man... it finally got here after a few days. The weird part was that he cane with very little delay.

This is He-Man and if you're a regular reader of the House of rants you should know who He-Man is. He's basically one of the main topics here. Not to mention my very first toyline, my very first hero. And my very first cartoon Crush was with his sister's best friend. So after Classics Classic ended and I killed Mattycollector, MOTUC went to Super7. Then Mattel started acting like a little bitch and pulled the plug on MOTUC for us to get these:
Nefty:He-Man meet He-Man! I love it!
Hmm! I love bringing people together!
He-Man: Did you just make a Zack Snyder reference?
Nefty: No, I made a reference to a shitty Zack Snyder movie.
He-Man: But, aren't all his movies shitty?
Nefty: You hate Zack Snyder movies? I hate Zack Snyder movies!
He-Man: Are we best friends now?
It's been no secret that I've had a negative opinion from the get-go towards these figures.  the red and blue card does some things to my nostalgia. But at the same time they make me feel dirty. This is not vintage He-Man, this is a pretender and a really bad one at it.
Nefty: A half-sword, ugh!
He-Man: Why is my hair American Cheese yellow?
Orange: I can Haz Garyskull Powaa nao?
He-Man: (poor creature, I need to take it out of its misery) Don't worry, son, you will... you will...

I honestly don't care about the mini comic so I'm not even going to count it on the review.
He-Man:(sobbing) Nefty!! I need you to take out
The trash!!
Nefty:(retching) Poor inbred He-Man!
Wun-Dar: (off-screen) You called?
Nefty: I said INBRED, not WONDER BREAD! 

Articulation:
 For the sake of fairness I will try to remain as impartial as possible but articulation is one of the things that this figure does pretty good. I may hate the idea, I may hate the way some things are executed, but this figure has a decent range of articulation. I cannot deny that. It has less articulation then I Classics figure but more than a 200X.
Think 200X with elbow, knee, ankle, and wrist hinge articulation.
3.5
Orange: Whee! I'M HOLE AGAIN!
Nefty: what... the actual...
Orange: OOH NAUGHTY WORD ALERT!!
Nefty: Hey, Orange, come over here for a minute.
We'll play WWE!
Orange: I BE CENA!!
Nefty: Huh? Where did you go?

Paint and sculpt 
Paint applications are minimal to simulate the fake vintage style. This is supposed to help reduce sloppy job but my Shield paint is very sloppy. The code was applied on evenly and you can see the dark gray pulling through the orange. The sculpt is decent... from the neck down. Oh my God the head is horrible! It looks like they took the Vintage head. Classics version head the original new and the original new adventures toy head I have used one of those internet blenders to combine elements of all three heads into one. To say that it looks like shit is an understatement. to make matters worse his hair looks like they tossed a bunch of spaghetti noodles on his head and we're molded in American cheese yellow plastic.
4.0
Nefty: (Why do I feel like I'm evil?) Get ready for a Boston Crab!
Orange: Yay! Right next to a cliff! I'm in danger!!
Nefty: Good night, sweet Prince...
Orange: How did you know I'm Prince Edam?

Accessories:
Ax
Shield
Half sword
His harness can fit MOTUC He-Man, but it's a pain in the ass to put on. I wouldn't recommend constant swapping.
But if you want to do a one time swap,
Oranges can use the spare MOTUC harness that
You'll have, once MOTUC He-Man has the Oranges harness.

Half sword in 2020!? Good grief!
But in a way it's good that we didn't get that Full Source because figures that have a full sword like the Prince Adam and skysled have a problem with the handle being too thick for their hands... This gross level of incompetence reeks of Ruben Martinez.
3.5
Head swapping is possible, but you may have to dremel
And ruin the head for MOTUC.

Overall
Oranges He-Man gets a 3.67 as his final score.  It could have been better... Ruben Martinez is not exactly a competent designer. He tends to be a bit too sloppy on things that require precision. But we're not here to talk about Mediocre Ruben. We're here to talk about Oranges He-Man.  I get what they're going for but after getting some amazing figures in the classics line; going back to a pseudo 80s style feels like a devolution. I'd expect hipster crap like this from super7 not Mattel. I'm going to get Skeletor for the sake of symmetry, but I don't see myself paying $18 but lost 11.5% taxes per figure to collect these.
I MIGHT get a couple of childhood favorite characters, but I can't see myself actively collecting these. Hopefully the 7 inch line based on Revelation won't suck as much as this.
Orange: Not so fast, the bitch is back!
Nefty: (offscreen) Did you just referenced Casper?

No comments:

Post a Comment