Mar 16, 2011

Gilbert Gottfried got fried.

Everyone knows about the Tsunami and the devastation in Japan. There's thousands of people MIA or DOA. As it is traditional in these tragic situations someone makes a couple of remarks that might seem offensive. Like say, Gilbert Gottfried using Twitter.

WARNING! WARNING!
The following quote might be considered offensive to some people:
Note: These are Gilbert Gottfrieds unedited tweets. They're his words, not mine. (Highlight to read)

Japan is really advanced. They don’t go to the beach. The beach comes to them.

What do the japanese have in common with @howardstern? They’re both radio active.

Japan had put out this urgent plea….” PLEASE SEND US A FEW BIlLION RUBBER DUCKIES!!!!!”

Japan called me. They said “maybe those jokes are a hit in the US, but over here, they’re all sinking.

I fucked a girl in japan. She screamed “I feel the earth move and I’m getting wet.”

My book #rubberBallsAndLiquor was released in japan. It’s making quite a splash.

What does every Japanese person have in their apartment? Flood lights.

I asked a girl in Japan to have sex with me. She said “okay, but you’ll have to sleep in the wet spot.”

What do Japanese Jews like to eat? Hebrew National Tsunami.

I was talking to my Japanese real estate agent. I said “is there a school in this area.” She said “not now, but just wait.”

My Japanese doctor advised me to stay healthy I need 50 million gallons of water a day.

WARNING! WARNING!

End of possibly offensive content, form Gilbert Gottfried.

That's what Mr. Gottfried posted on Twitter. Obviously he was fired from his job as Aflac's Mascot.
Yes, The Aflac duck is Gilbert Gottfried... As in the guy with the squinty eyes and the annoying voice Always yelling... and about 98% of his thoughts might be offensive...
Gottfried eventually apologized, but it was too late.

Here's the thing: His comments, were tasteless. At the same time he IS Gilbert Gottfried, so everything he says is tasteless even if I agree with him. As seen on the clip about Twilight.
While it's sad for the duck to lose his voice, I get why Aflac gave him the boot... Money. Aflac has a lot of customers from Japan. This firing Gottfried reeks more of saving grace with the Japanese customers than firing him because it's the right thing to do.

I admit that I chuckled at a few of his tweets. Then again I laugh when watching South Park and Family Guy, so I'm used to laughing at tasteless stuff. Speaking of Family Guy, show writer Alec Sulkin also made a tasteless Twitter about Japan. I get that sometimes we try to make the best out of a bad situation by using humor. (I know about this cause I've done it. I've had my comments misinterpreted as being tasteless.) Yeah, they tasteless and too soon. We humans can be insensitive and stupid at times. The worst part is the bunch of hypocrites that are now offended by these statements, but normally are making comments that make Gottfried's jokes seem tame in comparison. I've seen people who normally make jokes tasteless jokes about Japan become Defenders of Japan after the Tsunami...

Heck! When I heard of the news I thought of a bunch of jokes/tasteless comments I could make, but I refrained to do so. Mostly cause I felt they were tasteless after thinking them. The other reason was cause I didn't find them that funny. Am I Japan's biggest defender? No! All I'm trying to say is: I've you've said tasteless comments at the wrong place and at the wrong time; don't try to be a "defender of morality and taste" cause you look like a hypocrite.

Bet you're thinking: So says the guy complaining about the complainers!
No one would've cared about it if no one would've raised a big stink about it. It's not like Gilbert Gottfried caused the disaster. Complaining about him (or the rapper who sued a fast food company for asking him to change his artistic name to that of a higher monetary value and cross promote some value meals.) will not save Japan. If all of the people Outraged about it were asked to put their money where their mouth is, they'll come up with excuses to avoid helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment