May 20, 2012

Looking back on MOTU's 30th pt. 2: The fate of the world's in the hands of a beautiful girl!

Part II is here! We're talking about He-Man's Twin Sister, She-Ra: Princess of Power! Mattel's attempt at an Action figure Line for Girls... Or how to make boys venture the Pink aisle and leave in frustration...

Like her brother before her, my connection is mostly based on Filmation. I did NOT collect the line... due to many reasons:
-Pink aisle and Latin American Machismo... Old man was not too keen on me playing with PoP toys
-The toys look NOTHING like their cartoon versions.
-The focus on the Toyline was a "barbarian barbie" while the Toon Focus was kinda Star War-ish thing.

Now, just cause  I could NOT BUY POP, it doesn't mean that I did NOT have access to POP toys...
Female cousins are a godsend... (The only problem was that she wanted to play the Mattel Way and I wanted to play the Filmation Way... So I had to sneak around to Play Princess of Power the way Filmation intended...) Speaking of Filmation vs Toys:



See what I mean? Mattel wanted She-Ra to sit down, have tea and crumpets with Catra while they talked about boys, or should I say BOW... (being the only guy in POP) and maybe have makeovers or whatever it is that girls do on sleepovers...

On the other hand Filmation had the Heroes of Etheria being a small resistance that the Evil Horde (available in the boys' aisle) had to squash...

That was pretty much my view on Princess of Power as a Kid... As an Adult I learned to appreciate the nature of the toys designs a LOT better than Filmation's simplistic 80s exercise video costumes.
I do WISH that the PoP MOTUC toys had more Vintage POP Toy elements on them, but I understand why they chose the Filmation looks instead. Also they gave us ADORA and a CARTOON ACCURATE SWIFT WIND!!! Another Plus for MOTUC...

Stay tuned for Part 3: The New Adventures of He-Man... (This one will be short for 2 reasons:
1: I already covered NA 2 years ago... 2: I only became an NA fan 2 years ago...)

No comments:

Post a Comment