Jan 22, 2021

Theoretical Cat's Lair: a rant

 

So there is a rumor about something "big" related to Thundercats and Super7. Odds are saying that it's the Thundertank.  I also believe that it'll be the Thundertank. Personally I don't think super7 will full of another playset after Snake Mountain... for now. Theoretically they could pursue a Thundercats cats lair. The real question is HOW SHOULD THEY DO THE PLAYSET?
It's decent in an 80s toy way...
But I want it to be better!!


Do they go full LJN reproduction but bigger and slightly more detailed? I mean there would be no electronics, based on the Snake Mountain skipping the voice changer feature from the original. Without electronics, the mutant attack sled is not needed. The play set doesn't have much going for it when you look at it from the back. There's a classic dungeon trap door. And a couple places that you can have figures ready for battle. That's pretty much it. That cat paws are too small to have the Thunder Tank come out of them.
I want it to look like this.


The Cartoon Cat's Lair is 165 feet tall. So a true 1:10 Cat's Lair would be over 10 feet tall... not to mention a logistical nightmare.
So, we'd have to obscenely shrink down the lair to fit a toyline.

So, based on the LJN playset measurements:
Height: 23 Inches
Width: 21 Inches
Depth: 15 inches

So, taking an average 5.5 inch thundercat as reference the dimensions are:
Height: 4.18 figures
Width:  3.82 figures
Depth: 2.73 figures

So, with those numbers, let's do some fancy mathematics and see how big an Ultimates Cat's Lair would be:
Height: 29.26 inches
Width: 26.74 inches
Depth 19.1 inches

 It would be slightly larger than Castle Grayskull but smaller than Snake Mountain.
Personally, I'd round up the measurements to 30, 27, 20. I'd go for a Cartoon colors look, but implementing Most of the LJN features (that are not Laser related.)
There isn't much to do
in here...


But I wouldn't just redo the LJN playset. Hear me out. In the cartoon, the lair is built into the side of a Mountain. How about using The Mountain as a way to expand on the playset. It would be a separate shell piece. Think of the Tim Mee Battle Mountain... but on its back you can connect some pieces to create two floors of the Cat's Lair. The Council Room and the Sword Chamber. The idea is that the front the new piece can be used for displaying the Cat's Lair as a backdrop item. 
This can be put in a smallish ledge that can hold two figures, namely Jaga and Lion-O.


For "gameplay" you turn it around and attach the necessary pieces and accessories for play.
Also, it would allow you to display the Cat's Lair on its own and have on a separete shelf the interior display.
This would be on the bottom floor.
I know it's not show accurate, but
no free standing ledge would hold the
weight of 6 Thundercats and Snarf.

I know that my additions might bump up the price. But as a bare minimum, I'd expect a "cartoon redeco of the LJN Playset"

If possible, I'd replace the Mutant Attack Sled with a Thunderpod... I know what you're thinking: Thunderpods weren't a thing in the vintage line. But my idea of a Thunderpod is a mini Thundertank that can fit a normal figure (Lion-O, Panthro, Tygra, Cheetara, Pumyra, Bengali, Lynx-O, or the Thunderkittens...) and can be launched from the paws... but between you and me, I'd prefer the expansion with interiors.

No comments:

Post a Comment