Oct 1, 2012

Should we Shellebrate the new TMNT?

Cowabunga!!  wait... they no longer say that now they say:

yeah... they replaced Cowabunga with Booyakasha! Cause they're hip, trendy and all that!

Even the intro has nods to the Original Toon... (before a smartass mentions the TRUE Turtles from the Eastman and Laird comic, I'm talking toons here... as in Splinter = Hamato Yoshi! and Multi-colored bandanas!) but at the same time it tries to be hip and Trendy... I'll be honest, I kinda like it...
THERE WILL BE SPOILERZ!!!
Now let's get a few things out of the way... Yes they have 3 toes.
Would you look at that! 3 toes!
Even the 2002 toys had a third toe... Nothing new to see here...

Next thing that we have to get over... Insert old and overused Leonardo is voiced by Jason Biggs... No it's not the PIE LOVIN' scene... but it's from American Pie!

Raphael happens to be obsessed with Elijah Wood...

Donatello, who is into some interspecies lovin', no seriously, he has a crush on April! Sounds a lot like Yakko Warner! Now that's pretty cool, but here's the obvious secret to a TMNT Fan HE WAS THE ORIGINAL RAPHAEL!! I still need to wrap my brain around Yakko being Donatello.
And Michelangelo is Kevin Levin from Ben 10... or Iron fist in Ultimate Spider-Man... the last two don't bother me as much, but it took me the entire episode NOT to think about the Sexual Congress with the pastry whenever I heard Leonardo... I still need to get used to Donattello's Yakko voice... Then again, I can't wtch Drawn Together without thinking about  Miss Sparkle every time I hear Princess Clara speak.

The last shocking thing would have to be Teen April...

Did I get everything that was shocking? Let's move on to the review of the show.
This is another Origin Episode. The Turtles have been living underground for 15 years since their Mutation, trained by Splinter... who unlike the comics and his 2002 show was actually HAMATO YOSHI!!
So, the Turtles get to go out and see the Surface world. They meet April and discover the KRAANG... Whose way of speaking can seem a bit tedious to those who are doing the voice acting but at the same time it can become tedious to those who are listening to those who are doing the voice acting. Yes, I enjoyed it...

Oh yeah, the turtles twirl their weapons almost like it was 2002 on Eternia... The Twirling, it never stops!!
It sounds like I'm being NEGATIVE about the show, but I actually ENJOYED it!! I'll admit, there's some things I DON'T Like, like the twirling, or Mikey being a mega idiot...(cause he's the youngest), or Teen April... no offence to her VA, but I don't like the idea of April being a teen... she's pretty much the closest thing they've gotten to a mother and now she's "fair game" for them feels a bit awkward...  Everything else was pretty cool... It does have a bit of the "Eastern animation influences" with some reaction shots and the Twirling... and making April a teenage girl... Now it DOES take a bit to get used to if you're a fan of the ultra campy 80s toon or a fan of the darker Peter Laird Wet Dream that was the 2k3 toon...

I think that the show is trying its own thing taking the elements from multiple TMNT universes, here's hoping for more characters from the Old Toon (Namely Rocksteady and Bebop) and just for kicks add the 5th Turtle... no, not Zack!

I guess I must return my TMNT fan badge now...
Sure, everyone's OK with the possible interspecies relation between Donatello and April, but one mention of  Venus and It's like I've killed everyone's family! this is the only chance that we have to get a non-sucky Venus!!

Seriously now, should we Shellebrate the new TMNT? Heck and yes!! this is a way better celebration than TMNT Smash up!


No comments:

Post a Comment