Jan 1, 2018

The toys that made us and the insignificance of Scott Neitlich...

If you haven't seen the Netflix mini documentary series The toys that made us, do it... There's a He-Man episode... There's some good info, some Neitlichian retconing of the History of the brand... Roger Sweet screaming "Bong!" as a lame catchphrase... And the documentary is 100% Neitlich free... That's right, Toyguru is nowhere to be found. He isn't even mentioned.

As you may know he's severely butthurt about me criticizing his writing. To the point that he made me the Destroyer of Mattycollector and MOTUC. 365 days later and here I am again, dealing with this issue. I could mock him and gloat, but I won't. He totally deserves it, but I can't.

It was a dick move to erase him from MOTU History. I know he's a gigantic tool, but, he DID BRING HE-MAN BACK and made the Ultimate MOTU Line happen (with help of the Fourhorsemen and others whose names are lost to the unreliable nature of Scott's narrator.) Like him or hate him, we wouldn't have MOTUC, OR the Filmation sub-line if it hadn't been for his push for a Marvel Legends like He-Man.

I may have a LOT of disagreements with the man. Especially his toxic behavior with some of the fans. I may think he's a gigantic douchebag for attempting to damage my reputation in the action figure community, but I acknowledge that he was part of the efforts to reignite my passion for MOTU and allowing me to surpass my childhood collection. Pulling a Chris Benoit-esque Erasure of his deeds is a disservice to the Brand's history. But then again, he did undermine the roles of other people who helped MOTUC Happen. It might be a cosmic victory to those who were erased by Scott, but for the sake of fairness, he should've been at least mentioned.

Just to drive the point home, I am not kissing his ass, or praising him. I am simply acknowledging his role in this story and complaining about his Erasure. I even find his story a bit sad. He spent many years trying to portray himself as the Savior of MOTU, but ended up not being worthy of being a footnote.

No comments:

Post a Comment