Feb 19, 2018

Super7 is finally shipping wave one...

This is it, guys and gals... Finally, I will be able to pass the final judgement on Super7... Once I complete the 8 reviews. I know some people are dying to see what I have to say... Some of you are wondering if I will be as Ruthless as I was with Toyguru... (Hi Scott, how ya doing,I know you're reading... Hope everything is going fine with you... I miss you! No, really, I do. It's hard to be inspired without a nemesis.) Or if I'll cut them some slack. This will depend heavily on the other 6 figures (Fangor, Quakke, Lodar, MAA, Hordak, Tri-Klops). All my criticism will come from a place of love and a desire for improvement on the issues. I might be snarky, over the top, but this is for the betterment of the brand.

Right out of the bat, something that NEEDS to be improved is the waiting time. I get it, Super7 are rookies at this, but they are making Slowpoke Rodriguez look like Speedy Gonzalez

Yes, I went there. I also feel like they've been biting more than they can chew. MOTUC, the faux vintage, the MUSCLE, the faux Kenner figures, the other hipster crap I don't care about. They're a small company and their team seems to be spread too thin.
Add the issues with the Chinese factory and we have The ingredients for a clusterflock.

The reason nothing MOTUC was shown at NYTF was that Super7 felt like it would be a dick move to show wave three when Wave one barely arrived at their warehouse. I kinda get it. At the same time, they went to New York Toy Fair with NOTHING NEW to show aside Faux Vintage MAA and Beastman. Complaints would be inevitable. But better to have complaining about too much than too little.

They needed to have a TEASER. Something that Scott Neitlich was a master of.
For example, have Bryan state that the figures are being held back until the first orders begin to ship, but there are some accessories to whet your appetite then reveal for Collector's Choice:
A special guitar, a futuristic red gun and missile, Grimalkin statue, and Hunga's scepter.  (Basically hinting at Songster, Artilla, Melaktha or Kittrina, and Hunga)
For Filmation:
A black flower,  a coil of smoke, a pair of eyes on stalks, and a fishing pole)
(Basically hinting at Marzo, Weaver, Mantenna and Adam?) That would keep the people talking and become excited. Right now we have nothing, until the Power-Con exclusive reveals, which could happen any time now.

That's how interest wanes. The long periods of nothing. And seriously, going empty handed to the biggest toy show is kind of a horrible mistake.

I'm trying to stay positive, even if it's just to spite Guru... But each issue makes it harder... Please toys don't suck... Blow me away figures...

4 comments:

  1. I'm really curious to see how these turn out before I pick them up. Looking back on things, I think ToyGuru was a master at keeping the excitement for the line going. Even if it was controversy, every week seemed to hold something new. Heck, even the monthly release schedule always kept things fresh. Sometimes it was too much but, ultimately, it kept the line running longer than anyone ever thought it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I loved to call on his BS, Toyguru was the next greatest Showman (PT Barnum being #1) there ever was. I may say that he was like a reincarnation of a young Vince McMahon. (And I mean it as a compliment, Scott... I know you still read this)

      The stress seems to be getting Flynn. Saw the Pixel Dan video and it was cringy as hell. Flynn even tossed one sick burn at Dan's expense, which was the most amusing thing from the entire video. Everything else was Flynn trying to become my new nemesis...

      Delete
  2. they could have had 3 images of CC characters. to make people guess which one was the 4th

    instead they had she-ra muscle and re-tooled faux vintage (so that they're taller & don't fit in with actual vintage).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The image thing kinda works... In a previous rant, I commented about the SFII Teaser pics by Storm Collectibles (which made me regret getting a cheap NECA Guile) Even a silhouette of male and female figures with a question mark would've been a bit more exciting.

      Delete