Feb 8, 2014

A-well-a, everybody's heard about the bird

Flappy Bird... Yes, Flappy Bird. What's the deal about Flappy Bird?


 You just tap to make the flappy bird fly and dodge pipes ripped straight out of Super Mario.
The game is annoyingly difficult due to its controls and insane level layout. It pisses people off, but they are hooked in... Like flies towards overripe fruit. Drosophila Melanogaster comes to mind... Ooh! I haven't used the words Drosophila Melanogaster since First Year of College... Ah, Memories! So back to Flappy Bird. People get frustrated at the game, some have broken their phones and/or tablets. I was a witness to an iPhone dying of Flappy Bird Rage... LIVE AND IN PERSON... I can't believe it.
Yes, I sucked ass at Flappy Bird, OK? My reaction was: This **** is not worth it.

I played it and I don't get it: WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL!? OK I get the appeal of Angry Birds, or Farmville, even if I don't consider Farmville a real game. Flappy Bird is that ANNOYINGLY BAD BONUS MINI GAME you find on a JRPG that you have to play just to get a sidequest item that opens up another sidequest for the cool item needed to help the player beat the game.

Flappy Bird is one of those games that makes "Gamers" (Talking about the hardcore gamers, either console or the "PC Master Race" folks) look down on mobile gaming and with good reason. This is an oversimplified "rhythm game" but without the funky music. Just pecking away at the screen without having too much control of what's going on on the screen... but more control than going through a long speech on a JRPG. TAP THAT SCREEN! TAP IT!!

Well, The Era of Flappy Bird is almost over since its creator is taking it down. I still don't get why it is so appealing!? It's almost as exciting as pushing the elevator call button multiple times to "make the elevator reach your floor faster".


No comments:

Post a Comment