Jun 5, 2013

Casual Gaming is Magic: a My Little Pony Review

I got my hands on a smartphone this weekend so I could play MLP:FIM the game... (only for the weekend, so I can't be playing it FOREVERRRR!!)

My thoughts:
Well... It's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Video Game!! It's a Casual game like Farmville or Pet Society... a "Freemium" game. Free to play, but eager to milk your wallet dry if you let it. Also like those infamous Facebook games, you're going to need "Friends"... Spamming their walls in order to complete missions. I normally HATE having to spam my FB friends with games that require growing amount of players to complete missions. I don't like it in here either, but in a game with FRIENDSHIP in the title makes it obvious that I need friends to play with. There isn't THAT much to do... Get ponies, make ponies work on shops to generate money. With money you buy expansions... Clear the darkness set up  by Nightmare Moon, lather, rinse, repeat. With a few touch screen mini games in it.



But instead of a corpse-looking Old Snake you get...


The Doctor is in it... The Big Lebowski ponies are in it, the Mane 6 are in it (duh!), various background characters are in it! (as long as they're from seasons one and 2)

Let's get into the heart of the review: Ratings. Unlike Toys, games go from 1 to 10 because

BUT, like the toys, 1 is crap and 10 is good (cause with 10 the 5 has been doubled!)

Graphics:
They are pretty good, the backgrounds look like they're straight from the show, but the Ponies are 3D!!! and they look good! Although a bit odd, but that usually happens when making the ponies 3D... Look at the BK Ponies, or the Blindbag toys.
I'd say about : 8.0

Audio: 
the Music is very My Little Pony-esque (with an Instrumental rendition of Smile Smile Smile as the game initially loads) Heck! we even get the Once Upon a Time on Equestria theme when starting a new game. Not to Mention that some Ponies Speak... and Spike... WITH THE VOICE CAST FROM THE CARTOON!! The Mane 6, Spike, Celestia's VAs are in it... I suppose that Shining Armor and Cadance's  VA's are in it too since the Canterlot section is most likely to deal with the My Little Pony Royal wedding! (I didn't get to do much in Canterlot)
I'd say 10.0

Gameplay:
I'm not too fond of the Casual game angle used for the game... relying on friends and social media to advance is not my cup of tea on gaming... I'm more of an anti-social gamer. There's some touch screen mini games... The one I love the most is the one I hate the most... The Constellation game. I don't know if it's that my fingers are too stubby or if the screen is so small that I mess up often on it.
I'd say roughly a 7.5

Overall:
I did not count story, cause Casual games have very little story. In this case it's a rehash of the first 2 episodes of MLP: FIM. Nightmare Moon shows up, night will last forever, locate elements of Harmony and restore the day/night cycle... with a Royal Wedding thrown in! I'd say the overall score is an 8.5 which is good for a casual game...

With that said and done, It's a decent game, but not my cup of tea..

No comments:

Post a Comment