Mar 27, 2018

Ace Attorney: the Anime English dub: the rant

Since my birthday is coming up, I got myself a couple of presents. The Phoenix Wright figure was one of them. (I tend to avoid Figma, because that are a bit too expensive for what they come with.) But keeping the Ace Attorney theme, the Anime part 1 was available (basically the first game)

So here are my thoughts. I vaguely recall that I commented that the anime is an abridged version of the games... No, not an abridged parody like DBZA or YGOA... Or the far superior SAOA to the official SAO.
That is something that is kept on the English dub. Mostly because they can't add scenes like the fan based parodies.

One peculiar thing about the subtitles:
There are two versions the Naruhodo Ryuuichi version or the Phoenix Wright version.  That's a nice effort on Funimation'' part. Sal Manella even speeks in 1337 in the subtitles, which is a nice nod to the games...

There is one teensy weensy thing I don't like:
Sam Riegel is not Phoenix Wright... They replaced him with a Funimation VA
...
Edgeworth, who is voice by Kyle Hebert in the games, and is a Funimation VA...

Is not playing Edgeworth... I know, right?
So, Future Trunks is Phoenix... Mia Fey is none other than Android 18!!!
Cody Hawkins, Steel Samurai fan is Goten. Sadly no signs of Schemel and Sabat on this...
Random Trivia from the Japanese version:
Von Karma is played by Akio Otsuka...
Also known as the Japanese counterpart to David Hayter and Queefer Sutherland...

Here's the thing: I cannot recommend this anime because I am far too biased to make a fair and objective judgement. The Ace Attorney series has a soft spot in my heart and I cannot truly say that you should or shouldn't watch it. I'd say that it's about 70% faithful to the game. Some changes, whether I like then or not we're done for pacing, since visual novel games tend to have a slower pace. Despite these differences and changes in VAs, I enjoyed the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment