Mar 17, 2018

Saw the Tomb Raider reboot movie...

I wasn't impressed by it. OK it was better than the cradle of life... and the other Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movie, but it felt bleh... It feels closer to the game, but how can I describe the movie...


Let me number my issues with it:
Lara is already empowered. The appeal of Nu Lara is that she's an average girl forced to Man-up and become a survivor. This Lara is an extreme cyclist who happens to practice MMA in her spare time. She's already a super badass before reaching the island.
It takes almost an hour for Tomb Raider to start Tomb Raiding. There are some elements that act as a tribute to the 2013 game peppered in, mainly the river escape and some pickaxe work near the end. The movie felt like a watered down Indiana Jones meets Hunger Games.

I wanted the movie to succeed, but it was rather bland and uninteresting.

At least The Disaster Artist did not disappoint. James Franco played Tommy Wiseau eerily well. I had to keep reminding me that it wasn't Tommy, but James Franco.
The movie is basically a retelling of How Greg Sestero met the enigmatic Tommy Wiseau and ended up working in The Room. The movie does mock the eccentricities of Tommy, but at the same time it comes from a place of admiration towards Wiseau.

The movie made me want to see The Room redone with the cast from The Disaster Artist... I didn't realize that Chris R was Mr. high school musical himself. I know I mentioned it back when the cast was chosen, but I kept forgetting the known actors playing the roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment