Mar 10, 2018

The Super7 Clusterflock... The rant I didn't want to do but have to.

I've tried so hard to remain positive about Super7's MOTUC attempts, but with the figures finally shipping and reports of horrible QC nightmares, I'll rant. I must make a warning about language... Some variations of the words "fuck" and "shit" may find their way into the rant. With that said, no Scott, this will not be a "Fuck Super7 and Bryan Flynn's bullshit" type of rant, so you can stop celebrating. No nice Korean Girl for you. This is a "Yeah, the first wave had a couple of fuck-ups that should not happen again if we want the lines to survive a lot longer. Let's point them out and maybe toss in some ideas on how to fix them." Kind of rant. Not coming from a place of hate, but a place of love.

First: Let's acknowledge that the Factory fucked up royally.
Hawke and Teela having most of the issues in translating the prototype into an actual figure. (Engineering troubles by using wrong sized pieces, which made the end result a flawed figure) This astounds me the most because it's rumored that Figmas are made in this factory and those figures have a far more complex engineering than the Mattel styled MOTUC. Figures with backwards abdomens, or broken pegs are being shoved into the trays and pretending that everything is ok. Paint splotches are one thing that can slide by, but neck pegs breaking when attempting to swap Hawke's head, yeah, that's not a good thing. Her head is MEANT TO BE INTERCHANGEABLE!
Or the left arms breaking at the shoulder disc... That's not a good thing either... Maybe Super7 needs to have someone in China with a more hands-on approach on the making of these toys to reduce the number of issues.
What's the point of being a super Articulated figure if you can't be posed at all?

This brings me to my next point:
Whaddya mean "I opened my figure, I'm shit out of luck"?
While these figures were a more or less made to order deal, why didn't Super7 order an extra batch for case of QC issues? It's not like they couldn't sell those extras once the grace period for replacements ended. Now if any of my figures for some reason end up being broken... I'm screwed out of $35... Per figure. Hopefully, they will correctly assess this situation for wave 2. (Hint: order some extras for CS stock. Then sell whatever is lying around for Christmas)

Third: Compatibility and play factor...
OK this one is borderline nitpicking, but hear me out.
The beauty of MOTUC is that we have the base bodies and we can switch around heads and armors to create new combinations like variants or even new characters. But glued on armors and heads that when popped off aren't compatible with the previous figures. I mentioned this on the Power-Con exclusives reviews during the 2017 Advent calendar.

Right now the customers' faith is shaken and we need some reassurance that these unfortunate events won't repeat themselves.
I understand that Super7 is a small company and all that (and that line of defense is losing steam) I'm WELL AWARE that Mattel had a Rocky start with MOTUC, or that Hasbro had a Rocky start with ML as well, but they fixed mistakes (for the most part) I'm NOT getting that vibe from Super7. Mr. Flynn has made some comments that are as slimy as those from our favorite reader, Toyguru himself. Deflection is not the solution. In fact deflection will make more people lose faith in the line. (I have to admit that my faith is shaken... But I I gotta be strong! Keep on pushing on! Yeah! There's always gonna be another mountain... Why am I singing The Climb?) Right now we need what I lack right now. Laser focus on the issues and nip them in the bud before they bury the line.

My Wave 1 figures are MIA (supposedly, there's some problem with my shipment and I already contacted CS with the info they requested. Now I wait.) I already pre-ordered wave 2... So I'm stuck with those as well.  Getting Wave 3, right now I'm not 100% certain if I will. QC for wave 2 must improve dramatically, or else the chances of wave 3...


Again, this is not about "hating on S7". This is a plea for change and improvement of their products... Everyone here knows how much I fucking love He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. If you've heard the COTFO podcast (which scheduling conflicts between all members have triggered an undefined hiatus) I've gone unfiltered with my love for the line to the point that I've broken down in tears when the line has been in danger before. So yeah, I fucking love this line a bit too much and I don't want to see it for because of some bullshit that could have been avoided.



No comments:

Post a Comment