Jul 10, 2018

Looking back on Megaman 1... and 2.

I know you know I have the first 10 Megaman games on the Switch and that I reviewed the Legacy Collection as an anthology, but I did not look into the games themselves. After beating 7 out of 10 and struggling with the remaining three, I thought I should comment on each game.

I will start with the original, since it started it all...
This game is hard.  Beatable, but hard. It has very few of the Megaman staples and the controls are a bit too slippery.

But there is one thing that makes me want to crush, kill, destroy... Gutsman's stage... damn those lifts... damn them to hell!! But bless Dr. Wahwee for the Elecman Glitch!
That yellow devil and revenge of the robot masters stood no chance against the glitch.

When compared to the others it feels rushed, incomplete and inferior... which it is TO A POINT. If we were to describe the series as a diamond, this is the rough unpolished version of the diamond.

Megaman 2 is an improvement over the first game. Some say that this is the epitome of Classic Megaman... I mostly agree, though I prefer the Abilities to slide and charge shots from MM3 and 4. But that's a story for another day.
Most of the staples in Mega man are here. The Items are like Proto-Rush. But it also brings some Mega crap...
Quickman Stage is nothing compared to the game locking Crash Bomb  needing boss in Wily's fortress.

Also we have Alien Wahwee..

I have to say that 2 is a VAST improvement over 1 and to some, this is the moment where Megaman hit a plateau...

No comments:

Post a Comment