Jul 21, 2023

So, I saw Barbie:

 I honestly can't believe that Mattel allowed this movie to happen. A huge chunk of the plot makes Mattel look evil and incompetent... just like the real thing!

There are a few jokes at Ruth Handler's expense. A delicious jab at Snydertards, plus a  lot of criticism towards Barbie.

The theater was packed. I ended up first row with people next to me... I dont mind the first row, but I purposely choose first row to avoid people. 

But what about the movie?

Yeah, let's begin: Margot Robbie is a Barbie Girl in a Barbie World... Life in plastic is fantastic... sadly the song is not in the movie. And sadness turns Barbie into a "defective Barbie" and needs to see Kate McKinnon Barbie to get fixed. McKinnon forces Barbie to reach the Real World and Ken tags along. Barbie gets humiliated by Ugly Betty's daughter and Ken learns about the patriarchy and toxic masculinity. Mattel, under President Business's command sends out its MIB division (probably the same ones that got Toygoober kicked out of the premises when he "quit".) To get Barbie. So in a way, Mattel are the bad guys here.

The movie has a bit of a misandrist angle... but funnily enough, despite its talks about female empowerment, it sexualizes Margot Robbie a bit too much for a mildly PG-13 movie. 

In the end "toxic masculinity is the real villain." I can see why many folks will say that Barbie is "force-feeding feminism and wokeness". Honestly though, this is BARBIE!! Not expecting a feminist angle from it is ludicrous.

I'm torn. The movie was entertaining and the jab at Snydertards due to toxic masculinity was funny,  but as a BARBIE movie I don't feel like it "respected Barbie" enough. It makes me afraid for He-Man... Despite being canned at Netflix, it worries me that the approach to MOTU Will be Irreverent. 

I'm very likely to buy this movie on Blu-ray, but it felt a tad misguided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment