Dec 25, 2014

It came from the Toy Chest: I think something else is tingling, Parker!

The lack of Marvel Legends reviews at the House of Rants is a little bit Disturbing. Thanks to an old friend I've gotten a Hasbro Marvel Legends figure.

Yes, I am talking about the Kringle Man himself, Saint Nick, Father Christmas, and a man who I served under many years ago. I am talking about Claus, Santa Claus. Seems that I wasn't too naughty this year... Had I been nicer I would have gotten some MOTUC stuff.


 I got one of the Infinite Series Marvel Legends Black Cat!!
Now, the best part is that this Black Cat is based on her Classic Look! Unlike the Previous Black Cat, this one looks very feminine and doesn't have The Evil That Men Do look. Now to be fair, the Modern look looks pretty good. The Marvel Select Almost Statue of her is proof that this look works wonderfully in 3D. Whoever sculpted the Sinister Six box set Cat may have confused BC with Bea Arthur.

So, for those of you who don't know Black Cat, here's a super quickie BC course...

Black Cat is kinda like the "Catwoman" to Spidey's "Batman". Thing is she kinda likes the Spider-Part of Spider-Man and is not exactly fond of the Peter Parker side of life.
Kevin Smith... yes, THAT Kevin Smith wrote the infamous The Evil That Men Do and it took him over 3 years to complete. When fans complained about Smith's tardiness, he acted a bit like an ass, but that's not the point here... Neither is that the story became a messed up Rape PSA and that Black Cat became a Rape Statistic.
The point is that Black Cat is commonly known as a sidekick/love interest/common nuisance to Spidey. She can be heroic, but her Cat Burglar instincts tend to put her in a gray area. Also... Boobs! BC's boobs are very popular... Not as Popular as Emma Frost's or She-Hulk's but a LOT of Black Cat pics (actual comic art, fan art or cosplay focus on boobs.)

Without further ado, let's start this Review!

Articulation:
This is a Hasbro Marvel Legends figure and I haven't used ML figures in years (my ML are currently in storage because of the growing MOTUC collection. No, I'm not selling!)
So, I went out of my way to label all the Articulation Points on Black Cat.

Now here's the thing: She has a lot of Articulation that works well ON PAPER.

She has a LOT of Articulation issues.
For a "Cat Burglar" she is very inflexible.
She cannot kick, aside the Sparta Kick. She can't even do a Trinity kick!

That's the furthest that Black Cat can spread her legs open.
Crouching/Stalking poses, forget about it. Look to the side? You'll have better luck making a MOTUC Female look to the side than you will Black Cat. While she has a hinge joint in her wrist, it's more of a "Hold my sword aloft" kind of hinge than the "limp wrist" kind of hinge. Cool Kung-Fu Claw hand poses are also out...

Last but not least, her limited articulation make her a bit of a bitch to keep standing. She NEEDS to use an action figure stand if you want to keep her standing up.
 3.0

Paint and Sculpt:
SHE HAS THE POWER to hold things with thick shafts...
Get your mind out of the gutter, Parker!! Damn you Quesada!! 
I've already praised the sculpt on this figure, even if the Articulation is a bit iffy. She has a rather wide grip on her right hand. It can hold the MOTU Staction He-Man sword, or the New Adventures MOTUC sword with ease.
The only Issue I have is with the paint job. The light blue wash to give some shadows in the hair was applied a bit too liberally on my figure. When she's on a dark background and the flash hits her, she looks fine. On a light background, or when looking at her without bright lights, her hair looks light blue as well as the fur on her gloves and boots.
4.5

 Accessories:
Black Cat comes with a Single Accessory:
Her Grappling Claw. I do have a few issues with it, but it's a mixed bag.
I like the sculpt of it, but I hate that the rope is plastic and not a real rope. The fact that she has such a loose grip on the claw makes it even harder to find a decent pose for her.
If you're thinking of something Konami, you're correct.
If not, this will help.

Now the next Accessory, which can be seen clearly on the MOC pics is a Green Torso with Blue Pants. I know these belong to the Horrible Abomination that is Norman Hulksborn, the Unimaginative Universe version of The Green Goblin... I prefer my goblins wearing Halloween Masks and Flying on bat shaped Gliders than Unoriginal Demon Hulks. The Torso feels incredibly Lightweight

While I'm still NOT Fully tempted to buy the whole wave. I kinda want to complete the BAF. Not to make an ultimate Goblin, but to Make a Mega Roid Rage NA Faker... He-Slave 2.0 but that's another rant for another day.

 I'd have to say that Here in Accessories, BC deserves a 3.5

Overall:

They look nice together!
 Black Cat gets a 3.67 as her final score. If she didn't have the Articulation problems, she would have scored A LOT BETTER.

I don't think I'll go back to ML, but the offerings by Hasbro have improved leaps and bounds over Sickly Banshee and Fugly Emma Frost. 2004 me would have been super excited to add this Black Cat to his Spider-Man Shelf! Now if we could get a Classic Morbius without a rubber face (my Morbius lost his face. The rubber rotted away...) So, Hasbro, make it so... I think I may have to get a Hasbro Carnage...

Merry Christmas and Joe Quesada still sucks ass!


No comments:

Post a Comment