Oct 16, 2012

Action Figure Woes: Grayskull Experiment

I did mention the Castle Grayskull experiment on a previous post... Y'know the one where I posted the Grayskull I WOULD make if I had resources and was in charge.
Obviously Mattel's Grayskull is a bit Less Ambitious, and at a slightly decent price. $250 Dollars + Shipping and Handling. It's available for pre-ordering right now!!
It's Roughly 26" x 25" 28"and based on the vintage Prototype...
It is like the Vintage Playset in Steroids! Heck! It even can display the Wind Raider on it!
If it's so awesome, why am I posting an Action Figure Woes on it?

A Couple of things:
I'll begin with the Time window to pre-order this set:
It starts on October 16, 2012 and ends on November 10, 2012*... That's less than a Month. Sure! they won't charge you anything until the Castle is ready (nearly a year from Today) but,that's IN ADDITION to all the MOTUC Product that is going to be available NEXT YEAR... Remember that October-December are the Wallet Slaying Moths when dealing with MOTUC... The Mysterious 2 pack that people speculate are Horde Troopers, whatever else Mattel throws at us (Extra Mad Matty sales, Black Friday/Cyber Monday, etc.)

*=They get an Expansion till the end of 2012 IF and ONLY IF We make it past their "Stage 1 Goal"


The other reason is: Shipping Price IS incredibly Awful for International Fans.

This is what Grayskull costs to International Customers.
I mean look at that picture... That coupled with the fact that this is a very small line directed at a niche group makes it seem as if This Experiment was set-up to fail. Heck Mattel didn't even had a 3D Model of it when the Pre-Order was Suggested. Why is that last sentence important? Well, Mattel usually says: "something something must have figures sculpted before showing (Covering our backsides legally yadda yadda)".
where is Grayskull... The Microscopic pics that they have on Mattycollector won't help sell it... The insane wallet raping International shipping costs won't help either... I'd love to order one but for now I will not, due to my mysterious status as customer... (waiting for my Matty October order to arrive before I consider pre-ordering the Castle.)

But, there is something... gnawing at the back of my head... no, it's not head lice, I shaved my head for kicks! It's not razor burn either. The Part of me that loves to wear tinfoil hats is screaming at me... It screams that this "experiment" is a LIE... Conspiracy Theorist is screaming:


 This is all part of Mattel's evil Masterminds... Using this "experiment" to make themselves look like heroes trying to bring THE Ultimate Piece for MOTU  Classics Collectors to our hands. The Ludicrous shipping charges and short window of time are the genius part of this plan. Having them ensures the failure of this "experiment". If it indeed DOES FAIL as expected, the blame lies squarely on those who did NOT Purchase one... Cause Mattel tried, y'know? They may even find a way to lower the shipping costs to seem heroic, but the real intention is for the experiment to fail... If they were so committed to it, why not wait a bit longer until they had something more concrete than a few drawings.

 With that said, I WANT to make my inner conspiracy theorist to shut the hell up!! The only way to do so is by preordering Castle Grayskull! I really hope it gets made and that it beat the crap out of the obstacles mentioned above. If you have the resources to order one, you should do so... If we make it you'll be getting your very own MOTUC Compatible Castle Grayskull!!


Picture That, but possibly Sculpted by the FourHorsemen...
If you want it, go get it at Mattycollector!

No comments:

Post a Comment