Going down the rabbit hole that was the Tradwife meal prep made me think:
What are the top 10 comfort foods? How many of those would be on my top 10? How do I feel about each item?
Let's find out:
Mac and Cheese, Chicken Noodle Soup, Pizza, Mashed Potatoes, Grilled Cheese, Ice Cream, Fried Chicken, Chocolate Chip Cookies, French Fries, and Lasagna. These are the Top 10 most loved comfort foods.
Mine are:
Mac and cheese, Sancocho, Pizza, Ramen, Sloppy Joe, Peach Cobbler, Fried Chicken, Cookies, Fries with sunny side eggs, Lasagna. Very similar but a few differences.
Mac and Cheese:
I ain't talking about straight up box stuff. That always got enhanced at home. Extra cheeses, a good bechamel and other things...
I'm talking casserole style Mac and Cheese. Fan fucking tastic...
Chicken Noodle Soup:
This one is a staple. Whether fresh made, instant or canned. For the instant stuff, personally I've migrated from Western soup to Ramen... cheaper and just as easy. But homemade, I either go for egg noodle or asopao... essentially replacing the pasta for rice... but ramen win due to laziness.
Pizza:
Nuff said... also, 90s Pizza Hut was awesome! 2026 Pizza Hut?
Domino's haas recently entered a hit or miss. Papa John's has been more miss on the prices than anything. Little Caesars is just mid... but cheap.
Mashed Potatoes:
Cue Uncle Phil
To be honest, the only real way to make them is to do the hard work. I've recently noticed that instant mashed potatoes do not work as well as they should... flavorwise. Chopping, boiling, ricing the potatoes and using the same exact ingredients, yields better potatoes... but honestly, I ain't got time for that... so I end up boiling, drying squishing the potato chunks a bit giving them a sprinkling of oil and into the air fryer. But that's bordering on Fry territory. Personally, on my list of non-fried potato item I have Sancocho. A slow cooking beef stew with various root vegetables served over rice... like a sort of curry. It's a set it on a slow cooker and come back a few hours. The rice gets the rice cooker treatment. While mine isn't as great as my great grandma's... eating it takes me to a more innocent time.
Grilled Cheese:
Not gonna lie, this is the easiest one to make: bread, cheese sone fat to warm up the bread and melt the cheese.
First time Gordon doesn't fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich.Ice Cream:
You scream, we all scream for Ice cream... for me this one is always store bought... or truck bought.
This is the ice cream truck I used to hear a lot as a child.
This one I mostly rememeber from my grandparents But the Ice cream itself doesn't really do the confort food feeling for me. Hence the peach cobbler... I rambled about it earlier....
Fried Chicken:
Unlike the US folk who prefer their fried chicken battered; I prefer the skin not to be breaded.
Chocolate Chip cookies:
Yeah, they're great with milk... but shortbread cookies, butter cookies, Chocolate cookies lemon cookies... haven't seen girl scouts selling cookies. Point is that, cookies in general give me that comfort food feeling... not just chocolate chips. Speaking of, It's been ages since I've made some from scratch.
French Fries:
Fried in tallow, yum... Old McD fries were the bomb... but that comfort for me is the thing the fries are complementing... don't get me wrong fries on their own are delicious. But for me, fries with sunny side up eggs are the bomb, especially when the yolk oozes that yummy flavor on the fries.
Lasagna:
Nothing more to say. Lasagna is one part pasta casserole that thinks it's cake...
And sometimes I'm just in the mood for some fridge cold Lasagna. But it needs to be homemade. Sure, some frozen Lasagna hit the spot. But it's not the same...
No comments:
Post a Comment