Mar 20, 2019

Neon Genesis Evangelion: the rant

I recall mentioning me postponing watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, due to my depression a while back. I was able to obtain a copy of the series and I have been watching it... Man, it hasn't aged as well as I remember.

There's the Voice acting, especially, the English dub, that sounds bad. Everyone seems to be overacting... Aside whoever plays Ayanami, whose character is what K-Stew and Reeeee Larson have tried to play and failed. The pacing has always been a problem with NGE. If you're looking for straight up mecha action, you will be disappointed. The main focus of NGE is the effects of traumatic situations on depressed children and everyone around you is an asshole. Those first 7 episodes are usually a bit hard to get through... after I realized that I have WAAY TOO MUCH IN COMMON WITH SHINJI... yogurt sxene included. (I can admit my own weaknesses and IF I was in his shoes, my actions throughout the whole seroes might stray very little from the official paths)
Many times I had to pause and cry for some good 10 minutes, because the show opened up some wounds in my heart.

The show feels a bit dated now, since we passed the dates of the events in the series and feels a bit awkward.
But despute it's flaws, it's still enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment