Jul 24, 2013

Are Ponies Sleazy? or Slutty?

As some of you may already know, I am Brony (hear me neigh!)... Sorry, couldn't resist!
*Ahem!* I am a brony and I also liked G1... so that kinda makes me a cross-generation Pony fan...
Some people attack My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic by using tags like slutty, sleazy, etc...
This is fan art. Not official art.
OK That pic of Worst Pony makes her look a bit slutty... Well, as slutty as fan art of a stylized cartoon horse can look... without entering THAT area of the Internet...


I'm not sure if their skirts are too short or their legs are too long. I blame the stylized look... Wait... I prefer Stylized horses, but not humans? Yeah...

Here's the thing: There is no Sleaziness in My Little Pony... The Sleaziness is in the eye of the beholder.


 We can take this picture of a G2 Pony showering and claim that this is making the pony sexualized because we're looking at her while she showers.

Back to G4 Ponies. They are not sexualized... Intentionally. You can watch the show and pause at random intervals and maybe get a frame that could look weird if taken out of context. Same thing can be done in other generations, but it's a bit harder since the ponies while stylized they're less stylized than the Friendship is Magic Ponies. The Equestria Girls are easier to sexualize, because of their humanoid form. Their outfits kinda reflect the times... Seriously, look at Tween's clothing... Cartoons aren't to blame... Parents are to blame for allowing their kids dress like that.  As much as I'm not fond of humanized ponies (even if the Human world is a parallel world), I don't see the perceived Sluttiness that some people see on Equestria Girls... I think the Bratz look far more slutty.

One thing I've noticed is that many of the people attacking Friendship is Magic have not seen it. They see some fan-art on the internet and quickly judge the show as slutty, sleazy, etc.
Then again, I know someone who criticized the hoof out of Alicorn Twilight and Equestria Girls. Really... I still stand by my belief that those things were obvious ploys from the Marketing Department, but If I watch them I'm likely to like them... I may enjoy Equestria Girls, in the future, but I still need season 4 to pass judgment on Twilight: Princess of the Alicorns.  Seriously, Ponies are not sleazy or slutty... G3 Ponies may be diabetes inducing due to their hyper saccharine nature, but no generation of My Little Pony can be called slutty (up until G4... who knows if we get slutty ponies in a future Generation...



I think I'll get off my Soap Box... The Princess needs it right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment