Feb 27, 2022

It came from the Toy Chest: This Gecko ain't selling insurance


 Gex ain't got spit on him. I'm talking about one of the most popular geckos in existence...
There's like only 4 popular geckos and one is a Pokémon. I am talking about Mondo Gecko. Ally of the TMNT, member of the Mutanimals. And I know Jack shit about him. So, why did I bought him? Good question... I never had him as a kid, but the kid I often played TMNT with had him and in our play universe Mondo and Mikey had a friendly rivalry. Apparently that is close to canon.
Mikey: A mutant Skateboarding Gecko!? Cool!
Mondo: Lock and load, Little Lizard!!
Mikey: I'm a Turtle, not a Lizard!
Mondo: My inner child is coming out and it HURTS!!


Articulation 
Mondo has standard Ultimates articulation but with added tail articulation. His shoulder articulation is a bit limited. He can do plenty of skating poses as long as you have a stand that can support his weight. He might be small, but he's hefty for his size.
4.5 the tail articulation kinda compensates for the limited shoulders.
Mikey: Holy crap! He has a Turbocharged Skateboard! Donny needs to make me one of those!!
Mondo: THIS ONE'S FOR JOHNNY!!
Mikey: Wait up, dude!
Mondo: That's for 12 years of Full House!
Mikey: what!?


Paint and sculpt 
Mondo Gecko looks like his vintage figure but bigger and more articulated and additional paint applications. I especially like that Super7 took some details left unpainted on the original figure and painted them. 
5.0
Mondo: If I had a life, I'd be glad to get back to it!
Mikey: I nearly caught up to you WITHOUT A ROCKET SKATEBOARD!!
Mondo: Pulse Racing! Heart pounding! Where's the John!?
Mikey: Wait a second!! ARE YOU QUOTING GEX!?


Accessories 
Extra head
Extra hands
Skateboard 

While I didn't have him as a kid, I remember his Skateboard. The one we got is not accurate to vintage in shape. The one we got looks more like an engine powered Skateboard, while the vintage toy looked like a hybrid Engine powered skateboard/surfboard. It's NOT the end of the world. It's an observation on how "vintage accurate" isn't exactly set in stone.
I wonder if this flexibility can translate into other figures. We have seen it on April and the Turtles.
5.0
Mondo: This place is weirder than 4th of july at Rick James' place...
Mikey: I get it, you're a hip Gecko and you can help me save 15 percent in car insurance by switching to Geico...
Mondo: Did you just stereotype me, Cecil?
Just kidding, brah! The name's Gecko... Mondo Gecko! I'm a bit disappointed that no one has Oozed Tony Hawk...
Mikey: I'm Hamato Michelangelo...
Mondo: Real Japanese or Weaboo?
Mikey: Adopted Japanese, but yeah, an oozed Tony Hawk would be Bitchin'!
Mondo: It would be Radical!
Mikey: How do we capture a Hawk and have it touch Tony Hawk before oozing him... because it would suck if he tirned into a Pomeranian...
Mondo: or a pigeon...



Overall 
Mondo gets a 4.83 as his final score. The slight Articulation issue is what prevents Mondo from being a "perfect figure".

No comments:

Post a Comment