Jan 17, 2018

Possession is 9/10 of the law... Does that involve demonic hats?

It's a me, Cappy! I mean Mario! And you already figured out that this is a Super Mario Odyssey rant.

I normally do the whole review like the Action Figures review, but with a scale of 1-10. There have been a few recent reviews where I simply don't do math. Today is one of those days... Mostly because Nintendo games tend to suffer on the story department... And graphics, but that's cause Nintendo puts gameplay above all those... And in Odyssey the gimmick is what reigns supreme.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really cool game, but if you have played Sunshine, 64, Galaxy, etc. Then you have an idea of what kind of game this is... A 3D Mario game, where you collect X amount of McGuffins to go to the next stage. Unlike earlier 3D games, you're not sent to a hub world. Some moons may send you back to the start of the stage, but more often than not, you get a moon and can keep on going.

Now let's talk about demonic possession and Mario.  One could make a few mental gymnastics and claim that Cappy us some sort of Yokai and is influencing the actions of those he "captures". The gimmick is an excuse to use other characters.



This and GTA Mario were the reasons I got the game... And yes, I sang the Nostalgia Critic's T-Rex song.

I still need to finish the game, but it's easy to get hooked on Mario. The outfits are nice... Right now I have the Undapants Mario but will upgrade into Cosa Nostra Mario to match Pauline's Carmen Sandiego look. Once I beat New Donk City, I'll let ya know more of my thoughts... Seeing that this is the oddest world in Mario.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue... Seems fitting with the wedding theme of the game and it kinda sums up the whole game.
Same old 3D Mario, possession gimmick, Link between world's gimmick would be the borrowed thing and Mario's pants are blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment