Sep 12, 2024

Puerto Ricans raised in the 80s are going to love this

 When I was a young boy, my Mom and my then Stepfather knew a few Puerto Rican wrestlers. Mainly through his family. So, all the illusion of kayfabe was destroyed in the late 80s-early 90s. So, yeah I met a few wrestlers back in the day. I still regret not getting a photo with Chicky Starr and Carlos Colin. (His forehead is scarier in real life, especially to nine year old me) 

Well there's this film based on the Wrestling at that time. Part of me wants to see it, because I have mixed memories. Allow me to explain:

At that young age I had a love/hate relationship with wrestling. I watched it and enjoyed it, WHEN I WANTED TO WATCH WRESTLING. Problem is that my Stepdad's parents hogged the TV to watch local wrestling and I was forced many times to stop playing NES or watching TV so they could watch local wrestling. So, losing TV privileges every time they had to stay home (which was way too often)

Of course this is a docudrama that will be heavily stylized and romanticized and most likely will be based on the earlier 80s, which reduces the possibility of having a scene with the wrestlers hanging out with friends and family drinking, arm wrestling, and overflowing testosterone... 

Yeah, I'm just interested to see what extras could be playing my Mom and Stepdad.  The idea that a fictional version of my Mom could be immortalized on celluloid is making me cry tears of neither joy, nor sadness.


No comments:

Post a Comment