Feb 26, 2012

GAME OVER!! A 21 Game Salute to the Arcade!

As I stated in a previous post... (The one before this one) The era of the Arcade is long gone.
Now in Memory of the Arcade, here's the top 21 games that ate a LOT of My Quarters:

#21
Mazan: Flash of the Blade
Think Time Crisis in Feudal Japan, but with a sword instead of a Gun... This is one of those games where I improved a bit after taking some Sword fighting lessons... It was kinda cool to play this game without slashing wildly and almost looking like a pro... I had more encounters with Mazan than I had with the Konami game Tsurugi a.k.a. Blade of Honor...

#20
Dance Dance Revolution
Well, while I may not have the moves as those players; I DID try DDR... I absolutely hate it...
My feet aren't that coordinated... gimme a D-Pad any day...

#19
Crazy Taxi
Ah, Crazy Taxi... one of the 5 reasons to own a Dreamcast (The other 4 are Shenmue, Soul Calibur, and MVC 1&2) For some reason there was one at every movie theater... I even saw people miss out on their movie cause they were playing Crazy Taxi...

#18
Speed Racer
Now this game was something that I'd rarely see, but I'd play it cause it's Speed Racer! Did I tell you how much I suck at Arcade games?

#17
X-Men
X-Men! Welcome to DIE!! Ah, one Side-Scrolling beat-em-up! game... Between Capcom and Konami I spent a LOT of quarters on these... Starting with Konami's X-Men!

#16
The Simpsons
Using Homer, Marge Lisa or Bart... maybe you and 3 friends/strangers joining up to beat this game! This game was never ported to any home console as far as I'm aware of... Too bad though...

#15
The Punisher
Kinda like Final Fight, but you can use guns... and obviously it's based on The Punisher! The few times I encountered this game, I pumped it with a couple of my quarters!

#14
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '95... The first SNK game on my list. I already had played Fatal Fury, but the SNES port... This was one of the 3 SNK titles I usually found (The other 2 were KOF 94 and KOF 96)

#13
Vampire Savior: Darkstalkers 3
The "Lesser" Capcom Fighter, but I sometimes preferred to play this game instead of the more Popular X-Men vs Street Fighter... Demitri or Morrigan FTW!! (OK I also love Lilith... SHOWTIME!)

#12
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Two Words: Dan Hibiki!! Wait I spelled Sakura Kasugano wrong! This was the perfect time waster... I could beat the game without using a continue... when no other player challenged me.

#11
X-Men vs Street Fighter
The First Capcom Crossover... (Aside Akuma being a hidden character on X-Men: Children of the Atom) with Marvel. Although I like MSH vs SF (Mostly cause of Spider-Man) X-Men vs Street Fighter was BEATABLE without using continues... (I frigging hate Cyber Akuma)

#10
Silent Scope
This game was odd... It gave you a feel of what a Sniper is, but at the same time it gobbled quarters like crazy... I would have played more of it if it wasn't so frigging expensive!

#9
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Pizza Power! How can I make a list of arcade games without mentioning the TMNT... This game was cool, but the SNES version was better... now if we could get a port of the SNES version with the capability of 4 Turtles, then it would be perfection!

#8
Mortal Kombat
That's all you need to know... The birth of the ESRB just cause HOLY CRAP! He just ripped that other dude's head AND SPINE!! I only played the first 4 MK games at arcades (MK, MKII, MKIII, UMK3)

#7
Captain Commando
Now, this game was rare... but whenever I found it, you know that it ate a couple of quarters... I remember back in 7th grade I missed half a field trip while playing this game with a few friends... (yes, we sneaked out of the group to play Captain Commando...)

#6
Hang-On!/Super Hang-On!
Ah, Yu Suzuki, he gave us so many old school SEGA games, Virtua Fighter and Shenmue... Now this was my favorite old school SEGA game EVER!!

#5
Time Crisis
I'm not too fond of shooters... but Time Crisis added the Cover Element, which was interesting. Also it's the first one that I've played without weird "Digitized" actors...

#4
Pac-Man/Galaga
Normally, I'd find this hybrid machine and had to play both games... We could say that...


#3
Capcom vs SNK
My college days involved classes and playing this game at a nearby arcade... (a bit shady arcade, but this was the only nearby place that had THIS game...)

#2
Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
I wanna take you for a ride! Pick Cable and 2 losers... Spam the Hyper Diaper Beam... Lather rinse repeat, you beat the game... Now try playing the game without Cable you frigging jerk! Oh you're playing vs mode? Lemme guess Cable, Dr. Doom and Strider?

#1
????
I would have chosen Super Street Fighter II but There's a lot of different Street Fighters here (Alpha 2, X-Men vs SF, MVC2 and CVSNK...) So in First place is:
DONKEY KONG!!! How High can you get?

Honorable Mentions:
Star Wars Arcade Racer
You may hate the Phantom Menace... but this game will make you say "Yippee!" when you play it...
Final Furlong 2 or the weird Horse Racing game... Horse Racing game dude... what else would you want!?
Mario Kart Arcade GP Mario Kart + Arcade... Quarter munching... sadly I barely had time to play it cause it was always full...

Farewell Arcade, you brought me fun for many years... For that I thank you...

No comments:

Post a Comment