Apr 18, 2014

Aaaaaaaah! SEGA!!

Since my Shenmue tribute rant, I've been on a Sega Nostalgia Trip. Mostly because MY first Console was a SEGA Master System. My SMS was the one that had Hang-On and Safari Hunt within the System. Translation: I missed out on the MAZE GAME. I could only play it with my Uncle's SMS.

The trippy music from this game is etched into my memory... My main game was Hang-On!! (I sucked at Safari Hunt and my dad's TV had the dents on the screen to prove it.) I wasn't half bad on Hang-On!! The old man was a better Hang-On!! player than me. I never truly owned any other SEGA Games, though I could rent or borrow some. I regret renting ALF. I LOVED Rampage, After Burner, Space Harrier, Wonder Boy and Double Dragon. I did not play Alex Kidd until my teenage years.

I did not own a SEGA Genesis, but my Uncle did and I spent a LOT of time at his place. Family and all that (but also Videogames)... Since we're doing Genesis, let's get one thing out of the way.

I must add to this list:
Space Harrier II, The Amazing Spider-Man vs The Kingpin, Moonwalker, Street Fighter II', Sonic the Hedgehog are the games that come to mind. There were a few others, but these were the ones that popped so often. I got to use the DULLARD on MK as an adult.

32-Bit Era... This means we're not going to Uranus, but we're entering Saturn! Before you ask: Where's SEGA CD, or 32X, I never met them...
Here my game selection was Weird, all the games were used after SEGA axed Saturn for the Dreamcast.
All-Star Baseball, Virtua Cop, NBA Live 97, GEX (which I had on the PSX), Virtua Fighter, SFA 2 (which died after a few uses, sadly) Marvel Superheroes and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had the same fate. Last but not least...
♪Do-da do-da do-do-do-do do-do-do♫

Sadly, I was unable to get the expansion cart to play X-Men vs Street Fighter (and the whole game being a Japan exclusive didn't help)

Of course that leaves us with the Dreamcast... I had nearly lost my faith in SEGA but Ryo Hazuki helped restore it. Now I didn't have too many DC games and only 2 survive to this day. KOF: Dream Match 98 and Shenmue. The most use the Dreamcast is getting is for ports from Homebrew games made with the Beats of Rage engine.

I wanted to mention the Game Gear but I ran out of juice faster than it ran out of Batteries...

All Game Gear jokes aside (I only used my cousins but I had Spider-Man and Columns. Her GG only came with Sonic 2, She also had a Roadrunner game... and an AC Adapter) It's a shame that SEGA has vanished from the console market. I mean they TRIED HARD at what they did. The SMS had two ways to read games, by card (never had games that came in cards) and cartridge. The Sega Genesis tried to evolve with the SEGA CD and the 32X...
Evolution is a Mystery, A small change no one sees... Except
when you're talking SEGA Genesis. Holy Crap! The Beast
is growing into Kaiju-like Proportions!
The Saturn even had an Expansion slot just in case... Then Dreamcast had a built-in Modem... Hell, the WiiU's main gimmick (the screen on the controller) SEGA did it first with the Dreamcast's VMU over 13 years earlier... in a more archaic way, but in the 20th Century...

SEGA, I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment