May 17, 2013

It Came from the Toy Chest: Perseus is going to get you Edition!

As seen on a previous rant, I have a Snake Face... Normally I'd do a Video Review, but I wanna do a written one cause I don't want to lose my edge!

First I must point out that My Snake Face got a visit by Captain Paintbrush. Painting fangs and eyes on the little red snakes, cause they looked weird unpainted.

So what can I say about him? He is pretty much a male gorgon-like character with obvious nods to Medusa. (Including the Stoned Gaze) and the bunch of snakes on his head. Reminds me a bit of Ray Harryhausen's Medusa from Clash of the Titans... (the good one, not the crappy remake)




 He is a Snakeman, so, he joins King Hsssss and Rattlor on the Snake Men team (Don't forget Bert, Ernie, Snake Man-at-Arms and Kobra Khan... we're only Missing Ssssqueeeezzze and Tung-Lashor)

So enough of that and let's hit the in depth look! As always 5 is good and 1 is bad!


Articulation:
Mr. snake Face has the Standard MOTU Classics Articulation. No Special Hinges on the wrist like Bow or Leech. His Ab Crunch is slightly limited due to his armor. Bicep Swivel is limited due to the Fins on his deltoids. the Snakes on his forearms do NOT block any Articulation!

3.5

Paint and Sculpt:

I must say that the Little Snakes were not painted in the Mattel Figure. I shall not dock any points from that. My complaints on the paint is a huge glob of black paint on the side of his face on the Snakeless head. The paintjob on the forearm snakes is a bit sloppy.
The sculpt is cool from the waist up! As you can see it takes a lot of cues from the Vintage toy... Then again, Classics style tends to be mostly Vintage inspired, blah blah blah! But on Snake Face, I kinda wish we had gotten some Staction Influence (Namely the Whiplash legs to continue the finned limbs theme) and the Hordak feet... (Cause the Skeletor duck-feet have been a tad overused...)

Now the heads are basically the same head, but the only variation is the snakes popping out of the head vs no snakes. Well, the snakeless head has a green snake Mullet on the back of it. The snaked head has no mullet.

The Armor... I'll be honest: I'm not a fan of how Snake Face's action Feature was tackled. In the vintage line, the Flaps on the armor were on a hinge and the snakes popped above the flaps. On classics  you take off the flaps and insert the snakes (Like BA He-Man's plates)


You can't have both the snakes and the flaps. So, it kinda looks like he has some weird hip tassels. (and yes I wanted to pop them in the chest so I could make a Boobie Tassel joke. (Link might be NSFW)

Now, with the paint issues I have to give him a 3.5 otherwise he would have scored higher. While I'm not counting the unpainted little red snakes here, having them painted would have helped bump up the score with him!

Accessories:
King Hssssss' staff in Dark Green and Metallic Green and Snake Face's shield.
I hate his WEAPONS. The Extra head and the poppable chest snakes are OK.
I hate the staff because it's like giving all of Skeletor's warriors a repainted Havoc Staff.
The shield is Puny. I blame the Staction shield for being so awesome...

Due to the Poppable snakes and Extra head I have to give him a 5.0

Overall:

Snake Face gets a 4.0 but I'm not impressed with the figure. He's cool from the waist up, but lame from the waist down. He has a lot of accessories, but most of them are for Alternate looks. The staff while traditional, it's a bit meh! (Perhaps we could get a 200X Rattlor staff repainted for other characters) The shield is Puny... Probably will use in my fan continuity as a discus instead of a shield. He petrifies and then breaks the statues with the Discus.

No comments:

Post a Comment