May 18, 2013

Action Figure Woes: Calling it Quits!!

Wait!! I'm not quitting MOTUC, yet!! This is just a rant on "I'z Kwitten teh lien!" Looking back at other lines that I've made my best Cartman impression.



First on my list is SOTA's Street Fighter line! This one was rather easy to quit because Product became increasingly hard to get without relying on resellers and Scalpers. Not to mention that I NEVER found a Ryu...

Speaking of Street Fighter, NECA's Street Fighter IV line was easy to quit too, cause C. Viper was keeping the shelves warm. I lucked out on the variant colors Ryu and Ken...

Now that I'm on NECA, I must mention their awesome Eastman and Laird TMNT Line... Sculpted by the Four Horsemen... Easy to quit cause of NECA's Curse of Wave 2... Which was pretty much the same thing that happened to SFIV (except that they DID wave 2 and an extra repaint of waves 1 and 2... Never found a Guile) So back to TMNT, The Curse of Wave 2 happened and Wave 2 never happened... SDCC April was a bit out of my price range.

Still on TMNT, I've quit the 2012 line. I like the figures... well, the Turtles... I just can't get behind the 80s articulation on all the non-turtle characters. I'm waiting for the Shredder with more Articulation and  that's it... Maybe get the TMNT: Classics if they show up on my neck of the woods (or at least RockSteady and Bebop!)

Marvel Legends: That was the last "Big Line" that I quit. The reasons are a combo of Hasbro making Exclusive waves to certain Retailers not in my neck of the woods, Exclusive waves to certain Retailers that ARE in my neck of the woods, but the retailers never stocked their exclusives! Not to mention that Marvel was hellbent on making me quit EVERYTHING Marvel... (which they did with the entire Joe Quesada ruining Spider-Man)

Ghostbusters: I only got the 4 busters from the TRU exclusive, but I couldn't hit the trigger and buy the figures from Matty... (Mattel made the sub-par GB toys far too expensive.)

DCUC: I'm not a HUGE DC fan... I really wanted to get: Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman and Robin, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Lex Luthor, Cheetah, The Wonder Twins (with Gleek)...
Lack of Availability, Piss Poor QC, Ridiculous high prices made me NOT support the line. The idea of Getting a repainted MOTUC Figure wasn't appealing enough for me to get Aquaman and Hawkman... who I KINDA needed... Then again, the notion of having to get MORE Hal Jordans just to get figures that I wanted turned me off from buying Multi-packs. I'm not even going to touch the Mattycollector DC line!

Hannah Montana: I got late into the game so I missed out on the Oliver Doll.

Twilight Barbie-styled: Sadly I missed out on Alice and I really don't want to buy variants. I have not seen the Jasper and Rosalie dolls. (TBH I only wanted Edward, Bella and Jacob)

Transformers... I got the ones I wanted... Except Arcee... but I can live without her!


In the end, "kwittin teh lien" is not easy... Except when the toy companies make it easier to quit. Right now Mattel has had me on the verge of quitting MOTUC a few times already. The whole Spirit of Hordak thing... (while I got one coming my way, it still left me a bad aftertaste.) and the incredibly awful DC Comics, I'm starting to feel like I felt circa late 2008 early 2009 when I quit ML... Let's see if they can make an enticing 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment