Sep 3, 2019

Book Readers: the rant

Recently, I began rereading Jurassic Park. I bought a copy of the book about a year ago and I kept it on the back seat of my SUV for quite some time. That was not the first copy of the book I have read.
My first copy used to be my Mom's. She used to highlight the living shit out of her books and write notes on the margin. Something that drove me mad. "Vandalism!" I used to call it. Sadly, her copy of the book was lost about 12 years ago or something. Now here's the thing: MY COPY OF Jurassic Park feels Too sterile, too new, even foreign. As much as I LOATHE highlighting on books and scribbles on the margins, not seeing them makes the book feel alien to me. I no longer have a small window into my Mom's mind... and I'd give pretty much anything to be able to do so!
(Doormuumuu let's make a deal!)

Thing is that I USED TO READ A LOT with my Mom... *Not at the same time* What I Mean is that we'd take a book, read it and kinda have a mini book club. Discussions, ICED Tea, some sandwiches. Hot tea was a rarity, due to the warm weather in PR, but when we did it was sweetened with Honey and adding a bit of lemon for additional flavor. I miss those moments. Pretty much everything was fair game From Dostoevsky, Kafka, Cervantes, Voltaire, Tennessee Williams, Shakespeare, Mary Shelley, and other Authors discussed to death in Academia, to more Casual Reading Authors like George R.R. Martin, Anne Rice, Dan Brown, Michael Crichton, Stephen King, Stephenie Meyer...

But Right now there's a bigger pet peeve looming: e-books!

Don't get me wrong, it's really cool to have hundreds of books in the palm of my hand, not to mention all the reading I do online. At the same time, it might be part of my nostalgic feelings in regards to reading books, that make me not truly embrace the e-books. Part of me loves TOUCHING the book, feeling the ink and paper under my fingertips as I pass the pages. twirling the bookmark as I read and gently nudging it whenever I have to stop... and I can't do that with an e-book... Hell, they won't have what I crave most in a book... My Mom's "Vandalism"...

In any case, whether Physical or Digital, try to read more... it can be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment