Jan 27, 2020

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot: the Rant

Oh boy... Where to begin? Well this is not a good movie. No really it isn't: Kevin Smith spends a lot of the time reminding us at this is not a good movie.

 Here's the premise: Jay and Silent Bob discovered that the blood man and chronic movie is getting a diversified reboot and once again head to Hollywood in order to stop it. Along the way Jay discovers he has a daughter who has her own gender and racially bent Silent Bob.

The entire movies literally a critique about Hollywood rebooting movies while trying to reboot the Jay and Silent Bob franchise I'm falling into the same traps that they are criticizing. Call Rite Aid in lots of self referential humor, guest actors phoning it in, constant reminders of how much Kevin's made has fallen from Grace since the 90s.


I did chuckle at a few of them, but the one that made me laugh like a madman:
Deflated Affleck looks weird as Hell!
On the othet hand, despite the movie being objectively bad, I enjoyed it for all the wrong reasons.
I saw the desperate attempts of a man trying waay too hard to stay culturally relevant after a near brush with death would have made him a has been in more ways than one. For a moment there I thought I was watching a Seth MacFarlane version of the Viewaskewniverse.

But I'm not as afraid of Kevin Smith's MOTU than I am for Clerks 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment