Oct 24, 2021

GI Joe Classified is embracing ARAH era looks... is this a good thing?

 The earliest Classified waves had a Fortnite-esque "Modern" look that was criticized by the fans. Seemsnthat Wave 8... holy crap we're 8 waves in!? Is going a more "Traditional" look.

Image from BBTS

Spirit is V1 Spirit minus his controversial belt. Storm Shadow on the other hand is looking very A Real American Hero cartoon-like. 

On one hand this makes me happy because it guarantees Shipwreck's Village People reject look. On the other hand this worries me a little bit, because going for straight up vintage versions can be super boring...

Yes, I know that I have campaigned for Hasbro to go as close to Vintage classic looks as they could. My worries lie on them sticking Too close to Vintage. Part of the surprises from Classified came from the mysteries of Adapting Vintage looks through the more modern "Fortnite-esque" style. 

Don't get me wrong, I love what they did to Spirit and Storm Shadow. I guess it's the MOTUC fan in me reliving the "Just redo Vintage but upscaled" nightmare. I liked what Hasbro did in 09 with the 25th Anniversary line. They redid the older toys in a modern style. It would be OK of they simply upscaled the 09 toys, but to me it's a bit better if they bring up something new WHILE respecting the past. I guess that I'm a bit afraid of Hasbro tilting the needle a bit too far towards vintage instead of hiting the sweet spot between too modern and too vintage.


No comments:

Post a Comment