Mar 29, 2022

It came from the Toy Chest: Old and Older made new Turtley Blimpy

 

Not mine... Ace Ventura
delivered mine.

The time of my Birthday has come and I got an Early Present... The TMNT Blimp... Sadly, my box was beaten up badly and I cannot take a MOC pic.


 The 1980s Blimp was badass, especially the Glider...

The 2012 one? Not so much... the toy is a bad adaptation of the 80s one. It looks bad without the balloon attached.  It lacks the badass wings that allows the Turtles to hang on it.

The 2022 Blimp is the 2012 Glider and fins on then1980s Balloon.

It KINDA fits all Super7 Turtles.
This is made for 2012, which are a tad smaller.

While it's not a perfect fit for the Super 7 Ultimate figures, you can kind of make them fit. Personally I would go for using it as a single Turtle vehicle. A few days after I took that original picture, I finished giving it a crappy repaint, in order to make it pop a little bit. Basically painting a lot of the details that Playmates left in plain green. I was tempted to painted mostly gray silver and black as a nod through the cartoon, but I opted for some green elements to keep it as a turtles themed toy. 

I honestly wish I had seen reviews before buying it... it doesn't work that well with the vintage figures either. They can't properly hang on to the controls. If you still want to buy it, better have a bike pump ready... it's a bitch to blow the balloon and smoking hasn't done me any favors. I quit a few years ago, but still, my 40 year old lungs aren't as good as my 9 year old lungs. Emptying the balloon is as much as a pain as inflating it.
It's almost passable as a Single Turtle
Vehicle


Now that I'm stuck with it, I could use it as a background item on Don's workshop if I ever make a turtle lair for the S7 figures. Thinking of a "pile of failed projects" where I can add tons of kibble, broken bits and ends from other toys. Maybe even make a tarp to partially cover the glider as a failed project. 
This only works with the Turtles 
themselves.  April won't fit or hold the controls... (they're a bit too thick for her hands)


I'm going to flat out say it:

Do NOT BUY THIS!!!

While the Balloon looks vintage it was modified to fit the 2012 glider and it WILL NOT WORK on the 1988 Blimp glider. The box shows some tabs to hang the blimp... they were eliminated on the final product.

The glider body is incompatible with 1988 parts, so you won't be able to replace the front wheels with the 1988 lower wings.
As I mentioned before it barely works with vintage Turtles and Super7's. If you can live with all those issues, then you could get it... but if you get disappointed by it, don't blame me! I tried to warn you!!

Splinter: Are you Winning, son?
Donatello: WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!
Splinter: Unbelievable...
Donatello: I-it's not what it looks like...
Splinter: You were having sex with that turbine...
Donatello: OK. It WAS what it looked like...
Splinter: Teenagers...


No comments:

Post a Comment