Aug 6, 2024

It came from the Toy Chest: Spicy Banana edition:

 

There are a fewMartial Arts Rivalries in the history of pop culture: Bruce Lee vs Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal vs Jean Claude Van Damme, CM Punk vs Jason David Frank, John Lawrence vs Daniel LaRusso, Ken vs Ryu, and Karai vs April? Apparently that's a thing. I'm a bit rusty in my Mirage lore, but Karai apparently fucked Casey Jones shortly after April discovered she wasn't Human, but a drawing brought to life with the Gem that Kirby used to have.

In the Neftyverse I'll ignore the whole April being a drawing brought to life. I'm keeping the Karai fucked a drunk Casey behind April's back. So let's do the Wave 10 Karai and Ninja April It came from the Toy Chest Double Feature.

Let's begin with Karai.

When Shredder left to manage the American Branch of the Foot, Karai was left in charge of the Japanese Branch of the Foot. She's usually referred to as Shredder's daughter... but in Mirage continuity she had a Teenage daughter who was killed by the Shredder's Elite. Something doesn't add up. Oroku Saki was a child when Hamato Yoshi fled to America after killing Oroku Nagi. It wasn't until Saki became an adult that he killed Yoshi. But Karai is old enough to have a teenage daughter.
That daughter looks at least 16... So, Either Oroku Saki was forced to impregnate someone while he was barely pubescent and Karai followed the same fate, OR Karai was Nagi's daughter, adopted by Saki as he became the Grandmaster of the Foot. Otherwise, Karai would be waaay too old... Shredder died roughly at the age of 33 in the first TMNT issue.
Karai had a daughter about 16 years old. The youngest Karai could've been to bear a child is about 12... so 12+16= 28, which puts her 5 years younger than her "dad". Adoption is the only way.

Most people came to know Karai as the Final Boss of TMNT Tournament Fighters. 

Articulation
Karai has standard S7 Articulation. Nothing tow write home about. She feels a bit stiff, but wonder how long that will last.
4.0
I tried, even with photo mount putty Karai kept falling.


Paint and sculpt 
She's NOT reusing April 1.0 body with an overlay. She has a new torso underneath. Legs and forearms seem to be the only reused parts from Ninja April. I only wish her outfit had been deep purple... and closer to her Mirage Counterpart.
I know some folks will Argue that her outfit is black and the purple are just highlights. 
Her outfit looks more like a 2003 inspired look but "classicized". Don't get me wrong. I like it, but I wish it was more accurate to the original source... 
4.5
Karai: GameDude, Mary Sue! Where are the Turtles?
Babs: Isn't she the Foot Clan bitch that fucked Casey Jones behind April's back?
Nick: Wait, you drove a wedge between Aprol and Casey? Babs, I must exploit this, my penis demands Avenge Jones by making love to April!
Babs: But in order to do that, you may close the Karai path.
Karai; I didn't have sex with Jones. I'm appalled that O'Neil settled for that loser! Also, Why are you letting your boyfriend sleep around?
Babs: You wouldn't understand until you've tasted his dick.
Karai: Kare ga inkyubasuda to iu koto wa shitte iru. No, GameDude, no sucky sucky five Dorra for you.
Nick: I resent that you think I'm a racist like that.



Accessories 
2 extra heads
8 Extra hands
3 Arrows
Bow
Kama
Katana
Katar
Kusarigama
Bendy scarf

Nitpicks:
- I needed to work some of her c-grip hands as the thumbs and indexes were fused and useless to hold weapons. She can't properly hold her Arrows and I won't risk slicing a finger off. Unlike the c-grips that had a small amount of flashing, the bow hands have the fingers fused together and my shaky hands won't cut it... pun not intended.
- C-grips are not made for the thick handles for the Turtle weapons.
-the Hip sheath is supposed to be a Quiver, Arrows are far too long.

By amount she should get a 5.0, but due to me having to do "surgery" I'll dock half a point.
4.5
Nick: Stop Generic Japanese Foot Kunichi!
April: Nick, I know that's the homewreckong bitch, Karai in disguise. I can smell Casey's Adidas cologne and Jim Bean.
Karai: We didn't fuck. Don't listen to Captain Horndog. He just wants to get in your pants.
April: I know Nick wants to get in my pants... that's like saying Michelangelo likes Pizza. He probably wants to get in YOUR pants too!
Karai: No he doesn't! Being Shredder's daughter shrivels all cocks! Everyone's afraid my dad will slice their dicks off!
Nick: I'm not afraid of Shredder. In fact I'd make love to you right in front of him, Karai!
April and Karai: Shut up! The adults are talking!


Overall 
Karai gets a 4.33 as her final score. Don't get me wrong, she's not a bad figure. It just feels that Kyle doesn't understand the Vintage Playmates style... God I miss the fourhorsemen. They understood the assignment better. Kyle gave us a Classicized 2003 Karai. Shredder's Revenge got Karai a bit better as they brought back the Mirage purple shading.

I'm not knocking the design so much as the color palette. A more "vintage line" Karai would've been in Vintage Foot Soldier/ Shredder colors. Not this 2k3 Red and black scheme. But we get some pieces for Jennika though...



N
ow that we finished the Spicy, let's tackle the Banana... Of course, I'm talking of Nick Cade's first crush, April O'Neil.

The vintage figure looked more like a cavewoman... wait... not a cavewoman, she's supposed to be an Oni!! The Tiger stripped loincloth/dress is the clue... clever, Playmates... but 90s kids wouldn't have an idea on what the hell an oni was. So, Super7 had the smarter idea of putting April in a more traditional, if not conservative Ninja Outfit... but in Banana yellow, because April. 

Articulation
April has standard S7 Articulation. Nothing tow write home about. She feels a bit stiff, but wonder how long that will last. Also, she feels like she has a smidge more range than Karai.
It's not gamebreaking, but it's slightly noticeable.
4.0


Paint and sculpt
This is a brand new body that doesn't seem to reuse any parts from the previous April. Somehow Super7 manages to screw the pooch. You can't swap heads with the original April. The pegs on the heads do not match.
But now that we got that out of the way, let's deal with April as her own character.
We have plenty of parts to make Aska... (new lower legs, hands,and heads is what we need.)
There's no "source material" to compare her to, but it looks as fine as April can look on a yellow gi. Also, why 2 loop holes for sai when she only has one?
3.5
April: So, are you ready to see a trick?
Nick: Not really, but you'll do it anyway and you'll also be a gigantic tease, knowing that I've has a crush on you as a kid and will string me along, since I've been Kidbrotherzoned, which is The Friendzone on steroids.
April: But the kidbrotherzone let's you casually find some of my used panties.


Accessories
2 extra heads
8 extra hands
Mic nunhucks with real chain
Mike Nunchucks with sculpted plastic chain
Don bo
Leo sword 
Single Raph sai
News camera
2 shuriken

Like Karai, I have Nitpicks with the C-grips, but I only had to do a single hand. Unlike Karai, the sculpted chains on the Mike chick's is a load of bullshit. But these nitpicks aren't enough to dock her points.
5.0
Nick: Are you sure you want to fight me?
April: Definitely. If I win, you'll desist all efforts to get in my pants.
Nick: But what if I win?
April: You won't since you are forbidden from using your powers!
Nick: Fine no powers, but if I win, I'm stuffing you like a Thanksgiving Turkey and glaze you like a Krispy Kreme donut... WHILE Jones watches!


Overall
Ninja April gets a 4.17 as her final score. I have to be honest here. She's OK. She COULD'VE BEEN BETTER, but she isn't. Guess that it's tine fir a Vanilla April 2.0... just to correct the discrepancies between This and vanilla April Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment