Dec 27, 2019

Saw The Rise of Skywalker the other day SPOILERS

I wasn't impressed. Don't get me wrong it wasn't a complete train wreck... but it wasn't great either. It was better than the force awakens but worse than the Last Jedi.
 spoilers after the hyper speed jump




Yes I'm aware that those are controversial words especially since lots of people hate The Last Jedi.
What I will state right now is an unpopular opinion but here it goes:
JJ Abrams and not Rian Johnson was the worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars. Force awakens and the rise of Skywalker showed this to me.

My main beef with this movie is that it's basically a JJ Abrams copy of Return of the Jedi. Just ask the force awakens was a JJ Abrams copy of a new hope this movie basically retreads Return of the Jedi.
The movie also wasted a lot of time in exposition retconning elements from The Last Jedi and throwing random Easter eggs for/taking potshots at fans.

Here's a few examples:
giving Chewbacca a medal, making sure that everyone knows that Poe is a heterosexual man, having snoke being a weird Palpatine clone, making Luke apologize for the Last Jedi... (which I believe is stupid), Rey being both a Palpatine and a Skywalker

A lot of the movie relies on the stupid force Skyping that Rey and Kylo Ren do and most of the time they fight via Force Skype. The movie ends up being another fetch quest for the Magoffin to find the other Magoffin to reach the final level.

And my main beef with this Trilogy is that it was done more haphazardly than George Lucas ever did, they played it far too safely except with episode 8. And the predictable plot twists are less subtle than a Hideo Kojima game. It feels like it was produced by marketing rather than directors with passion for the craft or love for Star Wars. Hell, the writing reminded me of...

A terrible "writer"


Yup... Scott Toyguru Neitlich! That's how amateurish and mediocre  writing for this movie felt. But for the sake of fairness I must admit that there were some good ideas but the execution is what I find lacking; I guess kind of like Neitlich's writing...

Star Wars deserved so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment