Nov 21, 2021

A Batman videogame: random thoughts

 I got the Arkham Duology for PS4... which are ports of the PS3 Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Therefore, beating them made replay Arkham Knight. This made me think:
Sure, Arkham Knight is decent except for the stupid car... but we need something new, something better. I know Gotham Knights is coming, but that's a different continuity from the Arkham games. A new continuity is what we need for a cool Batman game.

Arkham nailed the fighting and the investigation parts up to a point.  But "Gotham City" ended up being "a slightly larger Arkham City". In fact while the PS4 can handle more people than PS3, Arkham feels lifeless. A HUUUUUUUUGE contrast from the start of the game. Yes I'm aware that use that bl
Plot contrivance to not have any civilians in the game because of the wrecking ball behavior of the car.

What I'd like to see in a Batman Game:
A Full Gotham City... From stately Wayne Manor all the way to... you know what, I'll  be greedy... I want Gotham, its outskirts and Blüdhaven, just to get some Dick in action. I'm talking about Grayson! Hell, I want to start the game at Wayne Manor, see the Bat Signal, go to the Batcave

Then drive all the way to GCPD... (fisrt time in cutscene, then we could do it manually during gameplay)

-More Gotham means more Batman... and his Bruce Wayne disguise. I know that "Bruce Segments" would be boring, but some gameplay rewards could be implemented as a reward for enduring some BW time. The idea is to juggle Bruce and Batman. Not to mention getting an achievement/trophy by having Bruce Wayne visit Crime Alley at the exact date and time that his parents were killed. The Nu52 date is June 26 at 10:27 PM.

-More Detective work. I liked the few Crime Scene investigations with Batman. I want to see more of those. Hell, I want more Brain teasers from Riddler that are not mazes for me to exploit gameplay elements.

-Make the Batcave RELEVANT. Not just the one under Stately Wayne Manor. I know that Panessa Studios kinda functiomed as a Bat Bunker in Arkham Knight. Having the upgrades only available at a safehouse might be "annoying" but it's "more realistic". Hell, I would make Manual saving having Batman/Bruce do one of his Microsleeps.

-Have Most of the Bat Family... Dick, Barbara, Tim, Stephanie, Cassandra, and Jason... Sequel should deal with The Demon's Butthole. Not all members are playable, but they're involved with the story.

-Guests from the DC Universe: I'm talking Green Arrow, Black Canary, not the other 2/3 of The Trinity. But some members of the League or the Titans could appear. The idea is to tease a full DC Universe beyond the indirect nods.
For example, as Batman, you're working on a case and Barry pops up to point out that Batman is needed on League Duty. Batman uses Barry's speed and Criminology knowledge to solve a case and lets Dick or Tim to tie the loose ends as he goes to deal with League stuff. The idea is to have certain character specific "missions/stages/episodes" where you use a Bat Family Member that is NOT Batman. Think the GTA 5 dynamic. Say, on game 1 Batman, Nightwing, Huntress and Robin are playable. Game 2 has Batman, Spoiler, Tim and Damian playable, and game 3 has Nightwing, Orphan, and Azrael playable... in addition to Batman.

But I honestly don't know what I want...

No comments:

Post a Comment