Nov 13, 2021

It came from the Toy Chest: Anthony Hopkins

 Technically speaking he's Dr. Ford from Westworld... an HBO series based on a 1973 movie written and directed by Michael Crichton... author of Congo...

And Westworld is a movie about people in a Wild West themed part where one of the robots has a malfunction and wreaks havoc on the park... years later he published a novel about a group of visitors at a Dinosaur themed Park where dinosaurs wreak havoc... in a way Westworld is the OG Jurassic Park.


That's all I know about the subject. Hopkins is in theory the proto Hammond to be honest I did not buy the figure because of Westworld, because I know Jack squat about Westworld. I got it because it's Anthony Hopkins.

Articulation
Sir Hopkins has articulation that reminds me of DCUC with double jointed knees and elbows. The torso articulation is a bit lacking, but to be fair he's like 83 or something. This figure has way more articulation than I expected... especially since he's a Diamond Select figure. Their articulation can go from Marvel Legends like to, wait a minute, this is a McFarlane statue pretending to be an action figure. I'm glad he's on the ML-like level of Articulation.
4.5

It takes very little to make Sir Hopkins look distinguished. On the other hand it takes very little to make me look shallow and pedantic.

Paint and sculpt
The figure resembles Anthony Hopkins in what people (namely me) expect Anthony Hopkins to dress like on his free time. For some reason I can't imagine Sir Hopkins wearing a T-shirt and shorts. And yes, I've seen pics of Hopkins on a T-shirt, or on shorts, even with gaudy Hawaiian shirts, but my brain does not compute and temporarily shuts down as it reimagines Hopkins on a long sleeved shirt, tie, and even a vest. It's weird, but it's kinda how my brain sees Hannah Montana trying to claw her way out of Miley Cyrus's body. No seriously, look at Miley  and tell menthat you don't see Hannah Montana trying to leave her body. Where was I? Figure looks a lot like Anthony Hopkins. There aren't any visible paint issues on my figure.
5.0

With the proper posing and accessories,
Sir Hopkins can look like an absolute badass.


Accessories
Diamond Select often falls short on this area. I cannot judge this figure properly, since I don't watch Westworld, so I don't know what show specific accessories he should have. I find the lack of extra hands disappointing.
He only comes with a stand
N/A

Overall
Sir Hopkins gets a 4.75 as his final score. Since. I haven't seen the show, crucifying this figure for a lack of accessories would be unfair. But with that said having no extra hands on an adult collectible in 2021 is severely disappointing.  I simply wanted an Anthony Hopkins that wasn't an Assguardian or Hannibal Lecter.
No human livers with fava beans and a nice Chianti were consumed during the making of this review. The weird Anthony Hopkins sucking/hissing noises were made a lot though. 
I did listen to Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus but my weiner's position during the song is not relevant for this review. So refrain from being like Jonah Hill.


No comments:

Post a Comment