Sep 3, 2022

TMNT Cowabunga Collection: TMNT II: The Arcade game vs TMNT, the Arcade game.

 I am tackling "the same game but not" twice. This way I won't have to go through each version... when I tackle TiT, I can tackle arcade and SNES... maybe I'll tack on Hyperstone Heist, since it's a "new game" that mostly recycles assets from This game and TiT.

The Arcade game came first and then Nintendo got an "enhanced but downgraded" port. They're the same game, from a certain point of view...  the main differences are graphics, music, but despite the differences, there are tons of similarities... which is incredible, since the NES is an inferior console compared to the arcade.  Somehow despite being graphically inferior, the NES game manages to pull a mostly faithful adaptation of the arcade.
This video playthrough by YouTuber VCDECIDE shows a comparison of the OG Arcade game and the NES game.

The reason I linked this video is because it shows the similarities and differences between both versions. I don't think that the standard review would be fair to these games since they're 8 and 16 bit era games. Their software limitations cannot compete with  32-bit era, which is the furthest back I can take the rating scale. 

Also, since this is a game that I have played for nearly 30 years on arcade, NES, PS2 (as an unlockable on one of the PS2 2k3 TMNT games), I have a HUGE bias in favor of this game... kinda like Super SF2 Turbo, SMB, NES Castlevania, Hang-On, and Altered Beast. 

But let's try to comment on the games...
Graphically speaking, Arcade is superior. Same thing can be said about music and gameplay...
But the NES is a tad more forgiving than the arcade version since it isn't trying to get quarters out of you. (This is in part due to the NES limitations). Yes, the Arcade Turtles have more moves in their arsenal, but in some ways, the NES Game can be more fun at times... or it USED to  be, since now we have bartop arcades like the 1up TMNT Arcade, which brings home the TMNT Arcade experience. But the NES version has 2 new levels that make the "inferior port" more special.

If Nickelodeon would allow it, we should get a game similar to Turtles in Time ReShelled, but using both the Arcade and the NES Port to make the Ultimate version of the TMNT Arcade game.

Yes, I'm aware that I'm going in circles and avoiding the ratings part:

Graphics 
I know I said I didn't want to do this, but here we go:
Arcade:
The Graphics are average to the era. Especially since they are from the earlier days of 16 bits and home consoles barely could manage 8 bits. These were a HUGE improvement over the OG NES Game.
For a 16-bit game the arcade gets a 7.5

NES:
Yes, the NES is inferior to the arcade. This game came out before the SNES hit the US shores. So, it came out by the time companies were able to squeeze some decent graphics from the NES without using the console's full power. The graphics are a decent improvement over the OG NES game. Of course the Arcade is better, but the NES game can defend itself rather well.
For a NES game it gets a 7.0

Sounds:
Again, the Arcade has a superior soundcard and it allows better quality MIDI. We also get some voice samples. While the NES Is inferior to the Arcade, it's no slouch. The NES Soundcard cannot fully replicate the arcade MIDI, but its renditions are decent.
Arcade: 8.0
NES: 8.0

Controls:
There isn't much to write home about here. 1 D-pad, 2 buttons. My only issue is that the switch has small buttons and it kinda messes with my muscle Memory. That's a ME problem and not a Game problem. They are responsive, just like I remember. 
Arcade: 10
NES: 10

Gameplay:
The game is a beat-em up... Double Dragon, Final Fight, Streets of Rage, that sort of thing. This was Konami's pioneer game in the beat-em up genre... No. The adventures of Bayou Billy doesn't count. So it feels rudimentary in comparison to latter games. As a game meant to guzzle up coins at an arcade, the simple gameplay makes it easy to get into and only skills and your wallet can determine whether or not you'll reach the end.

The NES Version is similar but due to software limitations, it is a smidge easier on the whole putting pressure on the player. The game is still challenging, due to the stages being longer and having a pair of extra levels. To force players to "git gud" the game has limited lives and continues... (which can be bypassed by cheats)
Arcade:10
NES:10

Story:
April's Apartment complex is on fire... We got to save her! Then Shredder shows up and kidnaps April... We save her and then he kidnaps Splinter... We save him and kick his ass at the Technodrome... it's a 1987 toon based TMNT Game... Story is not necessarily its strongest point. Then again, arcade beat-em ups aren't known for their rich and engrossing stories.
Both Arcade and NES are the same. 
5.0

Fun Factor:
Yes, the game is simple, but it's its simplicity what makes it endearing... and the TMNT skin hooks far more people. Of  course, modern players don't understand the appeal of these short, yet "difficult" games with little to no story... but at the same time I don't get the appeal of Fork Knife.
Arcade: 10
NES: 10

Overall:
Like I said, these games have a lot of significance to me, therefore, My judgment is clouded by Nostalgia. They remind me if a more innocent time, when Mom, my paternal grandparents, and my paternal Uncle were alive. A time where I wasn't as cynical and when my depression was brand new and hadn't had the chance of rotting my soul. So, yeah... it's kinda hard to have an unbiased view when these games fill some of my yearning for happiness. But I still have to do the math.
Arcade: 8.42 
NES: 8.33 
Yes, the Arcade is the superior version, whoc was logical... 2 extra stages are no match to better graphics, 4 player action, and better music.

No comments:

Post a Comment