May 4, 2023

It came from the toy chest: He's no Supergirl, because he's a Superboy

 Not superboy Prime, who has no relation to Amazon or Optimus. I know... it's Kon-El, the Superman hybrid clone... who instead of getting frog DNA to fill in the gaps, Lex Luthor gave his DNA to complete Kal-El's... so that brings us to Kon-El, the Superboy.
Am I the only one who remembers this show?

Articulation
Superboy has standard McFarlane articulation. The surprising thing is that his jacket doesn't block any of it. Even the butterfly shoulders work properly despite him having a jacket on.
5.0

Paint and sculpt
The sculpting on this figure is really great. You can see the resemblance to both Lex Luthor and Superman figures quite well. The cocky smirk gives off more Luthor Vibes than Superman. The only thing missing are sunglasses and earrings. Now on the paint side of things the figure did pretty well except one tiny thing. McFarland forgot to paint the studs on his belt that cannot be seen with his jacket when looking forward. When you twist the waist you can see a bunch of unpainted studs on the figure. I expect this type of cheap cost cutting measures from a lazy company like Playmates Toys. Not from Todd McFarlane especially since this figure comes with no accessories.
4.0
Alfred: I wish Master Bruce had told me about this get together, otherwise I would've ordered more pizza.
Superman: Dick, Bruce told me about your
Sidekick team and I thought that my clone-son could use a Team to learn the ropes on how to be Normal... I'd like you meet my "brother" Conner Kent, also known as...
Superboy: Superboy! I'm an improved version of my "brother-father" Clark Kent, because my "mother" is Lex Luthor. I have the best of both worlds and unlike my "mom", I'm not going to steal forty cakes, that's four tens and that's bad.
Nightwing: Dick Grayson of the Flying Graysons, the Original Robin, but you can call me NIGHTWING!
Batgirl: I'm the Oracle of Gotham, if it's on a computer I can hack it, but I'm not only brains. I can also fight for justice.
Superboy: Based on your outfit, you mist be Batgirl.
Robin: Flexing that Luthor brain, I see...
Red Robin: That little bundle of Joy is Damian Al Ghul, also known as the Demon's Butthole or the 5th Robin.
Robin: I AM THE BLOOD OF THE BAT! I AM DAMIAN WA-
Red Hood: JUST SHUT UP, YOU LITTLE SHIT! NOBODY LIKES YOU! AND I WAS THE MOST HATED ROBIN UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG! For that I thank you. BYW, Yo! I'm Red Hood, robin Numero Dos, out of the suit you can call me Jason Todd.
Red Robin: Hello! I'm Tim Drake, the Third Robin but you can call me Red Robin...
Superboy: Like the burger place?
Red Robin: You were supposed to say Yum!
Superboy: I didn't because it would be misconstrued as if you were gay and that would be stereotypical...
Red Robin: I'm Bi, by the way...
Superboy: And? Do I need to throw confetti at you for being bi? I HAVE TWO DADS! LGBTQ+ STUFF IS NORMAL FOR ME! But why is the minority robot crying?
Cyborg: BUFFY MAN BAD!!!
Red Hood: That's Cryborg: Half man, half machine, 100% crybaby who hates Joss Whedon because 6 years ago he asked Cryborg to say booyah!
Superboy: Wait! Here's Robins one through three and the 5th... where's the 4th Robin?
Robin: *sing song* We don't talk about Spoiler no no no! We don't talk about Spoiler!
Batman: For the last time, Stephanie, we aren't having amy sort of reunions. I had a fallout with most of the Robins, and my crotchgoblin hates my guts! Wait, Damian just made a joke about you and it was hilarious! Kthxbye!




Accessories
Aside the stand and pointless card, nothing. This is disappointing. 
1.0
Red Robin: So, about this team?
Red Hood: With Conner and Vic...
Cryborg: I'm Vic!
Robin: No one cares, Cryborg! Go watch Sucker Punch and beg for Zack Snyder to notice you!
Batgirl: Damn Robin, you were supposed to humiliate him, not murder him!
Nightwing: Can we just take the pic? My cheeks are getting numb!
Robin: Why do you love showing your ass so much?
Nightwing: Because this cake pays the bills! Batman can't fund The Justice League, The Outsiders, and The Titans! So, y'all better be ready for swimsuit calendar photos... except Damian... we don't need Chris Hansen asking us to take a seat.
Superboy: Don't we need more girls for a better calendar?
Nefty VO: Blame Todd for the lack of girls... don't mind me, I'm a 5th dimensional gazer, but unlike Mr. Mixed pickle or Batmite, I'm just a Peeping Tom,  I don't mess with your lives... except to make Cryborg say Booyah!
Cryborg: Booyah! Pancakes, woo!


Overall
Superboy gets a disappointing 3.33 as his final score. The lack of accessories and incomplete paint applications made this figure feel cheap and underhwelming. It has a lot of potential but somehow MacFarlane just fell short.

No comments:

Post a Comment