May 5, 2023

It came from the Toy Chest: This image of Raphael is traumatizing...

 Using customs on an It Came from the Toy Chest is a load of bullshit. But I spent about $120 plus shipping on these, so I got to milk the hell out of them! So, by the title, you might have a slight idea on what I'm talking about: Image comics and Raphael...

I am of course referring about the time Raphael became Shredder. I didn't want to sculpt Shredder Spikes. But at the same time, Playmates styled Shredder spikes are on the wimpier side and Raphael as Shredder needs to be "edgier" than normal Shredder. Also, I was tired of losing too many ebay bids for Super7 Shredder bodies/loose Super7 Shredder figures so I had to go deeper and get ACTUAL PLAYMATES TOYS MADE PIECES from super Shredder, since they came closer to that Image inspired look. On an actual Playmates Turtle, the Super Shredder spikes may look big, but on a Super7 Turtle, they look better.

The only difficult part so far is the head, which I might revisit if I can get a spare Sewer Samurai Leo Head (with the Oni Mask) at a reasonable third market price so I can butcher the helm into a Shredder helm. But for now the idea that Raph tried to cram his oversized turtle noggin on Shredder's actual helmet and put on a second bandana over his snout to cover the fact that he's a Turtle and not Oroku Saki has Playmates Toys logic written all over it. I had to sculpt over his snout, which is the only cheating I did... unless we count wrapping teflon tape on his shins and forearms as cheating too... everything else was a kitbash and slight repainting... I darkened his shell. This is the part where I should mention that I also had to drill holes on his chest forearms and shins in order to apply this fight armor parts. In order to attach said Parts I had to also applied glue on the holes in order for the pegs in the armor too stick to the figure because I don't have access to any Sonic welding tools that big toy companies use. For accessories I used the spare weapons from the Donatello I got for the Don the undercover turtle custom figure wasn't going to use. The communicator is now Michelangelo's.

The figure preserves most of its original articulation aside the shoulders since they are partially blocked by the spiked armor. On the paint department I only had to touch up some accents on the shoulder armor and darkening his shell between dry brushing and washes. I must mention that I had to paint Shredder's helmet silver since I used a spare blue helmet. Now I need to get a normal Shredder head or a spare Shredder.

The main reason for this rant is to act as a journal documenting the process with no pics because I'm an idiot. Currently I'm waiting for the arm pieces to arrive and once they do I'll attach the spikes via gluing the pieces and the figure would be complete. I still haven't decided *IF* I want to add anything else. Early on I decided against painting pants on Raph... I'm having nightmares with a custom Agent John Bishop from a Mattel TDKR Joker. Having to dremel the joints to reduce paint chipping is a bitch and that figure doesn't take dyes too well. That also killed my plans for Nightwatcher. Kitbashing him would be too expensive and we don't have acceptable parts.

So, the figure is "officially 98% done" I may need to do some paint retouching. But since I NEED to publish something here's some pics of him:

Foot Soldiers: *angry turkey sounds*
Shredder: Tonight I dine on Turtle Soup!
Leonardo: Turtles fight with honor!
Donatello: Is it me or does that Shredder look a bit familiar?
Michelangelo: Dude, he kinda reminds me of somebody I used to know...
Leonardo: You're goong down Shredder!
Shredder: Attack, My Foot Soldiers!
Michelangelo: red, green, and yellow coloring, teenaged body, and a big R on front... guys, I think this Shredder is Robin!
Donatello: Really, dude? It's...
Shredder: ME! DEAR BROTHERS!!
Leonardo: Hey! I'm the one who makes Cam Clarke references here!
Raphael: It's me, dumbasses!
Michelangelo: Your name is dumbasses?
Raphael: Foot Clan, retreat! I'll handle the Turtles!
Leonardo: Brothers, fall back! I'll deal with Raphael...
Michelangelo: I knew Raph was edgy and brooding, but becoming Shredder? That's some Image comics level of bullshit...
Don: You heard our fearless leader, Mikey...

Sadly, my Undercover Raph's a bit loose and keeping him stable is a bit of a pain.

Leo: So now you lead the Foot Clan?
Raph: Only until Karai comes out of the Toy Chest...
Leo: I'd like to do something similar but with less words...
Mike: HEY! I DO THE PERVY JOKES HERE!

While this custom gave me something "special", it makes me wish for something offcial or a Nightwatcher as a legit variant for Raph... I almost want a cyborg Don and one armed Leonardo from Image comics... yes, Liquid Snake references would be made. Shredder Raph could also come.e with an alternate unmasked head with the Image comics era scarred face to use on the standard body as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment