Jun 12, 2019

MOTU Origins: second thoughts

After a good night's sleep... or morning in my case, I took a second look at the MOTU oranges Adam and He-Man...
They still stink and I don't like them. Before you ask no this isn't related to the death of Classics; I just simply don't like these guys.
I don't mind that they are 5 and 1/2 inch scale. In fact I think that's a pretty smart move for my tell if they're going for a mass retail toy line for kids... the problem is that the line isn't end for kids but for 30 to 40-somethings that are fans of the original toy line. It's kind of nice that they can fit with the old play sets and toys, but I do have a few issues.
My main beef is the faux vintageness of them. They look off and that breaks the illusion.
-The extra heads and hands make these a lot less child friendly than the originals.
-Price point... Funko's faux vintage MOTU styled toys are usually $10. Super7's faux vintage Filmation toys are $20... These have extra hands and heads... How much will Mattel charge for these? I'm guessing they're going to be in the $20 range which makes them ridiculously expensive.  (IF Mattel doesn't get greedy)

Personally speaking they could have stayed five and a half inch but gone in a different style Direction.
Shrunken down Classics with a bit less articulation  would've been a million times better than this bad vintage imitation... ( I can't believe this is made by The Four Horsemen) maybe the art style of the mini Masters but in five and a half inch scale would have been even better than what we got.  Or keep the same bodies they have now while fixing the elbow and wrist articulation. While adding vintage-inspired heads but made for modern times. Like the vintage toy Oo-Larr head from classics.

It's He-Man! I'm supposed to like this by default but, it looks like shit! To those who like them well good for you enjoy but I'm not getting these. Unless they make 200X stuff in this style... That could tempt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment