Aug 21, 2020

Nostalgic unattainable Foods

As you know, I'm feeling a bit down and a bit tired due to life getting in the way. Couldn't take pics yesterday due to a mini "Odin Sleep". It was supposed to be a power nap. Ended up sleeping 4 hours. But it's made me crave stuff...
Stuff from my childhood that's either impossible or near impossible to get. So here's a small list of top nostalgic foods/snacks.

Golden Skillet fried chicken:
We had those in Puerto Rico way back in the 80s. Their chicken was better than KFCs and Church's... we still have Church's.  But back to Golden Skillet. Due to her job, Mom had to work some Saturdays on a booth at a Mall promoting health insurance. She returned tired from that and there was no way in hell she would cook. Depending on the Mall, we got either KFC or Golden Skillet. We preferred Golden Skillet. Alas, unless I head to Virginia, I can no longer have some Golden Skillet fried chicken.

Sbarro Pizza:
Mall Pizza... mmmm! I can almost hear the pizza snobs saying that Sbarro Pizza is crap. It's not about being good or bad it's about nostalgia. It's about 8 year old me trying to eat a huge slice of cheese pizza, going to the arcade, or a movie with Dad before I had to return to Mom so I could be ready for school Monday morning...
Hell, there was a Sbarro in campus and I practically ate my first year there to the point I got sick of Sbarro.

Crystal Pepsi:
I know it was an unpopular drink, but I liked the taste of it. It felt like a lighter Pepsi. It didn't feel super sweet like normal Pepsi. It's no Royal Crown, but its unique taste/color was great on a hot summer afternoon. An icy glass of Crystal Pepsi slightly watered down by the ice makes the clear drink taste virtually the same as Normal Pepsi... but crystal clear.

Royal Crown cola:
I mentioned it earlier, it's the best soda ever. Sadly, it's a pain in the ass to find. It brings me back to summers at my grandparents when I could get a can and a bag of Amazin' Fruit gummy bears for under a dollar... (I feel old) but, it's been nearly 20 years since I've had an icy can of RC Cola. I know I can theoretically buy online, but I ain't paying $60 for a 12 pack. Especially in Quarantine.

Dunkaroos:
Coolies, cream frosting dip? Delicious sugar rush! Chocolate frosting Graham cookies was  the best of them all (IMO). These were great on the go, even if a little messy...

Magic Middles:
Think Dunkaroos but flipped inside out. Cookie outer cover with a delicious fudgy center. These eere insanely delicious when dunked in milk.

Frutsi:
My friends in the US probably have never heard of this one, but I'm sure Latinos have... IIRC it's still available in Mexico. This fruit flavored drink takes me back to my early childhood back in the 80s.

Amazin Fruit gummy bears:
Haribo makes great gummy bears, but Amazin Fruit were juicier. Again, summer, grandparents house, RC Cola less than a dollar...



Orange was the flavor I remember the most.


Well, that's pretty much it. I can't add Gerber's Banana Baby Food,  because that's still available. Before anyone asks, no I don't eat it as part of the baby food diet fad. I eat it because I like the flavor of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment