Aug 31, 2020

Something strange is going on in Tsushima...

But, sonce this period was during Japan's hyper isolationism, Spengler, Stantz, Venkman and Zeddemore can't do anything anout Tsushima's ghost problem.
 as you might have guessed I've been playing ghost of tsushima for the past few days. I haven't beaten the game yet. I believe I'm roughly 40% complete on the story.

Sucker Punch did an excellent job on this game. it has a Kurosawa inspired feel to it. it doesn't fully capture it but you can feel that they tried to get very close to it. It feels more like a Samurai themed series, than "a movie". The videogame aspects, make it lose some of the "movie" effect, but this is NOT a Hideo Kojima game,  so you have to do most of the work without long cutscenes.

OK, so you play as Jin Sakai, a Samurai brought back from the brink of death in order to repel the Mongolian invasion. And basically you have to liberate the island of tsushima from the Mongols grip in order to get them off the island. The thing is that while Jin is a feudal Lord and Samurai, the game allows you to turn him into a Proto Ninja. And it's kind of cool because you can go all Samurai and the challenge all your foes to combat, or you can go ninja about it and assassinate them from the roofs and other sneaky tricks. I'd say the game kind of feels like a bastard child off The Witcher 3 Tenchu and Assassin's Creed all wrapped up in a nice Kurosawa love letter.

Just checked IMDB... mostly Asian voice cast... WTF is Sean Schemmel doing in there. The voice cast worked really hard to simulate the Engrish so it sounded like English with a Japanese accent. The Witch Part is that the game was recorded originally in English that Sounds like a dub. And the Japanese dub sounds more authentic which is kind of weird.

 In non combat scenes the animation for the character's looks a bit stiff and clunky. This is more noticeable with the NPCs.  but if I want to be honest I really don't mind those minor issues because I'm pretty much in love with the setting. I'm mostly open world feudal Japan game is not something you see everyday... I'd be up for a full free world ninja game. As always once I beat the game I'll going balls deep in the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment