Aug 13, 2020

King of Fighters... Am I a fan if I only care about...

Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting? I'm honestly not that into the Ikari Warriors, Psycho Soldiers, Team Kusanagi, Team Yagami, the Orochi stuff, the NESTs stuff, etc.

In my teens I played a lot of KOF 94, 95 and 96 at an arcade... until Marvel Superheroes and Street Fighter Alpha 2 were added. In college, I had a friend with a Neo Geo and he had Fatal Fury 2 and Art of Fighting 2... which I played when we hung out.

The Fatal Fury OVAs also helped on that. The SNES port of Fatal Fury 2, KOF 98 on Dreamcast, CVSNK2 on PS2... KOF14 on PS4... have kept me a bit aware on KOF, but I can't call me a hardcore fan... I'm more of a knowledgeable Casual. Now here comes the horrible truth:
I like the characters, the lore, but I HATE the games!

I should explain this better:
I hate the Single Player mode... for a single reason:
SNK Boss Syndrome.
The cheap way SNK stole 100+ yen from you each play through. In normal battles the AI behaved normally they gave you a winning chance. Once you reach the boss well get ready to waste a lot of yen... for some reason this logic still applies to games and go straight to home consoles and I no longer bound by the yen guzzling from arcade era.

And this is what mainly keeps me as a casual.


No comments:

Post a Comment