Aug 18, 2020

Legend of Korra is not clicking with me the same way Avatar: The Last Airbender did.

And to my haters it's not the Queer protagonist who was in the closet during book 1. I'm nipping this idea right in the bud because, I know they'll try to use my distaste for Noelle Stevenson's bastardization of She-Ra to paint me as multiple -ist and -phobe terms.

Korra is NOT a bad series... so far I'm still on Book One. I started yesterday!! Its writing is OK, but I feel A:TLAB was a bit tighter in the writing. The characters are likable for the most part. I can't stand Amon who, to me feels like a Dollar Store Orochimaru... voiced by the same VA as Orochimaru, which might be why I'm unconsciously linking both characters. Also, he reminds me of Graydon Creed from X-Men. Also the writing feels more CW drama than a show in the A:TLAB universe. I'm  hoping for a redemption arc for Korra, because she's a bit of a douche in the few episodes I've seen so far.

The issue that is turning me off from the show is the setting. I know that an Asian-inspired Steampunk pseudo noir world is great for JRPGs and I LOVE THOSE, especially in that kind of setting, but for some reason, to me, the Avatar universe doesn't click with that setting... the show is supposedly 70 years after TLAB but it feels like 300+ years have passed between them.

I hope the show gets better as it goes on, because what I've seen so far feels a bit rough and unpolished when compated to A:TLAB.

No comments:

Post a Comment