Nov 16, 2022

It came from the Toy Chest: Tomohiro Ishii

 

I am currently way disconnected from Wrestling. Not following US Wrestling, much less Mexico or Japan... Don't get me started on Puerto Rican Wrestling. My Mom was alive last time I actually paid attention to local wrestling. Mostly because My Mom and Stepdad knew some local wrestlers. Maldo el Poderoso, Chicky Starr, I think one of the Invaders, and Carlos Colón. His forehead is far more terrifying in real life (due to the excessive blading he has done for decades). So, pardon my ignorance on the subject... I honestly bought this figure for 1 reason:

I know that "it COULD seem racist" that I'm picking a Japanese bald dude to replace a different Japanese bald dude.  I don't know how to make realistic face sculpts that could be used as action figure heads. I don't have the materials to make the head either. I barely can sculpt shirts on bare torsos. I have been unsuccessful at sewing a sleeved tunic for Splinter. Yes, my stance against soft goods clothing has softened up a bit... it had to in order to make this Theoretical Tatsu. Even if I had the skills to successfully make a posable action figure that could fit in with Super7's TMNTU, I don't have the time or money to do so.

Hopefully, the stars will align and this Theoretical Tatsu will work.


Now on Tomohiro Ishii: I know he's a NJPW wrestler, since he's on the NJPW Ultimates line by Super7. I KNOW he had a brief stint on AEW, since AEW has done some partnership events with NJPW. Again, I don't know much about him... Then again, that hasn't stopped me from buying figures before.

So, let's get cracking and tackle Tomohiro Ishii.

Articulation 
He has the same articulation as a Thundercats figure, but with pinless joints. Aside the Ab Crunch, which is very limited and lack of boot cut, he has a decent range of articulation.
4.5


Paint and sculpt 
He has a decent likeness to Ishii's. Sadly, mine is a bit derpy eyed on the opened eye look. Sadly, his chest is lightly stained by his shirt... apparently it bleeds dye. It's not very noticeable, but it's there.
4.5


Accessories 
He has a second head
Removable Shirt
Removable Elbowpad
Steel chair
Various hands
Removable title belt


Now I understand what the Hand pack is for. Tomohiro Ishii and other figures from the wave got some habds mixed up. Ishii's gripping hands have some flesh colored wraps that are not in the rest of his hands. His title belt had fragile pegs and holes.
4.5

Overall
Tomohiro Ishii gets a 4.5 as his final score. He's not a bad figure, but I only got him for fodder to make Tatsu. The hand issue and a few others slightly lowered his score. I know he isn't a Perfect Tatsu likeness that could be displayed with NECA, but he might work better for Super7.

No comments:

Post a Comment