Nov 4, 2022

It came from the Toy Chest: Apologize for Steve irwin, you freak!!

 


I am referring to Ray Fillet, the Mutanimal who is the only Manta Ray that I know that can speak English. Also, the Steve Irwin reference is easier for you, my readers to understand than making a reference to a random memory of my childhood. I know Ray Fillet is a Mutanimal... and that's about it. His plastic manta "wings" are not like my mouth remembers... yes, I put his manta wings and tail in my mouth... no I didn't bite, I'm not a fucking savage!

But seeing the figure in my hands did trigger some random memories of summers at my grandparents... memories of a far more innocent time. Memories that are fading away as I write this. Memories that are making me cry of joy and sorrow. But the show must go on.

Ray: Yo! I heard Ye likes you a lot!!
Fishstick: I swear, if you make another Gay Fish 
Joke, I'm going to blow myself...
Ray: Ron Jeremy can blow himself...
Fishstick:... up!
Ray: We Don't do the "God is Greatest" thing here.
Fishstick: That's racist, yo!
*Boom!*


Articulation
Ray has standard Articulation... except he doesn't truly have standard Articulation. Let me explain: he is engineered to have it, but some details of his sculpt limit the articulation. His wings and his shirt's neck block the articulation on his arms. His diver watch blocks some articulation on his right wrist. Mine has a fused waist and the right leg's ability to kick forward/sit down is unusable due to a fused joint there... I'm not going to force them. Then we have his super loose legs... but at least joints aren't popping off like Leatherhead...
3.5
Ray: A yellow weirdo and a starfish...
Are you Ready Kids!?
Fishstick: Really, SpongeBob?
Scarfish: The name is Scarfish...
Ray: No! Your name is Patrick!
Scarfish: OK!
Fishstick: Dude! What are you doing?
Scarfish: Ray pays our bills. If he wants to call me Patrick, I'm Patrick...
Fishstick: I'm surrounded by idiots.
Ray: You'll learn to love your role, Ye's favorite meal!
Scarfish: Now I get the Kanye is a gay fish thing!


Paint and sculpt 
Due to my crying a bit earlier, the sculpt must be pretty close to the original figure since it triggered a flashback. The figure is full of details... the shirt has a pebbly scale texture, the clothes have plenty of creases and folds... even the flippers have sculpted details on the soles. He even has some nice shading to his musculature. Mine has some sloppy paintwork on his extra head, sadly. The only tiny nitpick that I have is that his sleeves are painted and don't match his torso. 

This is not a nitpick, but a "It would've been 20% cooler if they had used Thermochromic paint on the V.
4.0

Accessories
Rey has a Vintage styled rack with his weapons
His Ray gun
Extra head
Extra hands
An anchor with rope
His Starfish buddy
My only real complaints are:
The rope on the anchor wasn't properly sealed at the ends, so it will fray.
Fishdicks is too yellow 
5.0


Overall:
Ray gets a 4.17 as his final score. A few articulation hiccups hurt his score slightly. Hopefully, wave 7 has no issues with the loose hips like waves 1-5.  I kinda wish fishdicks had more color.  While Ray is a decent figure, I don't think he's worth $55... then again, I feel that they're overpriced already, but Ray is a mixed bag... he has more paintwork so he can "feel more premium" and he's a hefty dude, but at the same time the sloppy paintwork and frozen articulation makes him feel overpriced.

No comments:

Post a Comment