May 15, 2020

Gender and race bending is bad... No matter thhe direction.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again: race and gender bending is bad, no matter the direction of the bend.
Whether is making a Black Character White, or vice versa.
Whether is making a Male character into a Female character or vice versa. That type of change is creatively bankrupt and lazy.

White Goku, Black Johnny Storm Female Doctor, Male Jewelstar... ALL OF THESE CHANGES, I HATE THEM ALL THE SAME!! I've  mentioned ad nauseum how I hate changes to estavlished characters in order to have faux diversity. They made the Star Sisters black and Jewelstar a male. I know what you're thinking: You didn't mention their blackness up until now, what's up with that?

While the change bothers me, because of unfaithfulness to the source material, I expected it. There's no point in arguing against an expected change. It's stupid because it's all for "muh diversity" and it has no other real reason for being. But to "steal a possible role model for little girls that would make them feel empowered" is a massive dick move. (Note that this show is supposed to be empowering for little girls) How dare Noelle Stevenson do this atrocity!? I thought she was the progressive one!! Then again, this is not her first genderbending... she OKed Double Trouble being a genderfluid lizard monster.

There is no rhyme nor reason for this change.
Now that I've done all the over the top pearl clutching and mock outrage thing, it's time to get serious.

I understand what they're trying to attempt with a "diverse cast". I disagree in the methodology, because they're stealing from one group to give to another. Instead of adding, they're replacing and I can't get behind that kind of change. Personally, I can't see any advantage of having Jewelstar as a male. Heck! It kinda feels like thwy had different original characters and somehow got a "mandate from above" to use the Star Sisters and they were able to half-assedly shove them in.

Because let's face it: if there was a Star Sister that could've been made male with no real issue is TALLSTAR. She has the most "gender neutral" name of the three... Jewelstar still sounds too Female-like and don't get me started on Starla. People, myself included, wouldn't complain about these changes IF they had some rhyme or reason. But the half-baked approach to the changes clash with the characters/story and makes them easier to mock.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these race/gender changes, BUT if they have to be done, I'd expect a reasonable explanation that serves the story. Back to the non-serious stuff...

Star Sisters rolls off better than Star Siblings. Stars i sters kinda sounds like "Stars y stars" when slurred... (that's  Spanish for Stars and stars) while Stars i blings sounds like Stars and Bling in Spanish but the explosive B sound breaks off the ease of how thw words come out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment