Jul 18, 2020

Initial D: America is not the only one to butcher Anime.

Initial D...

It's mandatory to reference Deja Vu. The Anime/Videogame series based on the Manga, Initial D...
It got a Live action adaptation in Hong Kong.

So, I don't have an attachment to Initial D. Speed Racer is my car anime. My younger brother is more of an Initial D fan. The Arcade game was fun. It had a card system that you could save your car and reload the game with the card. But I digress. While I have a bit of very basic knowledge of the plot, I am pretty much a virgin who hasn't gotten his Initial D... yes, I made a dick joke.

The movie is LOOSELY based on Initial D... according to friends who have READ the Manga. And to be honest, I believe them. The movie, despite being based on Japanese Material, it kinda gave me some Hong Kong vibes. Reminded me a bit of Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle... not in a good way.

The movie has the same problems as any Zack Snyder movie. Anything that is not an action scene is painful and awkward to watch.  The movie constantly freezes and it's neither DVD problems, nor buffering
 it's an artistic choice.

The closest thing to a Saving Grace would be the driving, sadly the editing is not that good.  I didn't hate it but it barely made it to the I kind of like it side...  sadly I don't love it.  I'd rather stick to the anime...  just don't tell my brother.

Curious fact about the movie: The Toyota Trueno jas been discontinued for years. Toyota actually built a couple of Truenos for the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment