Sep 17, 2021

Netflix CGI He-Man... it's great and awful at the same time...

 It depends on the perspective. I ripped the first episode to shreds in an earlier post. I still question the deliberate choices to distance themselves from The Source material. I do not see the point of making a Masters of the Universe show that barely resembles a Masters of the Universe show. If I put aside my dislike of the radical changes and look at it as its own thing, then the show is actually great! My "hating on it" is due to me being a curmudgeon who is overzealous of his first Hero and Toyline.

Adam being both a Savage and a Prince is a nice idea to explore. I think I mentioned that in one of my last appearances on the CotFO podcast, when I tossed the idea of what I'd do if I was in charge of making a new MOTU SERIES. MY issue is with the execution here. The whole Adam is clumsy and his introduction involves getting hit in the balls while saving a tiger cub felt insulting to old school fans. I understand that they're trying to show us that he's not a full-fledged hero and that he is learning the ropes. At the same time that nutshot wasn't needed. Thankfully, the show isn't hellbent on making Adam/He-Man look like a moron. 

Speaking of morons, so far I haven't found any on the show. The villains are actually pretty competent here. It doesn't feel like the show is being dumbed down to kids. In fact it's pretty mature for a kids cartoon intended for younger children. It's a bit dark too... not Zack Snyder edgelord darkness where he drains color out of everything, but it has a moderately high body count for a Western cartoon for kids. Not to mention dealing with some heavy themes. 
Having a non-Skeletor Keldor actually works far better than I expected. Shame that it was short-lived.

Skeletor has a malformed dick or he's like Walter Peck...
Let me have this joke at least. 

The only problem, FOR ME, WITH this show has is that it strays too far from traditional MOTU. That is the big hurdle for me... and that the toys are crappy and look cheap as hell. 

As a traditional MOTU fan, this show is far more garbage than Noelle Stevenson's bastardization of She-Ra AND The New Adventures of He-Man... 

If I put aside my Traditionalist Bias, this show is a smidge better than Filmation, but not as good as 200X. I disagree with a lot of artistic and story choices made for the show, but I can admit that it has heart AND it's trying to be a good show OVER EVERYTHING ELSE.
I could find a lot to nitpick if I try (I did it with the sacred Filmation specials), but I don't want to... It might "NoT bE fOr Me", but it is a decent ride. With some slight tweaks, this could've been the perfect He-Ro: Son of He-Man cartoon we needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment