Feb 3, 2023

It came from the Toy Chest: Morlun

 


I'm not exactly a fan of J. Michael Straczynski's Totem crap in Spider-Man, but I have been wanting a Morlun, a Shathra, and an Ezekiel...

We have a Morlun in Marvel Legends. Sadly, he was butchered by getting some Morbin' hands. Roll the beautiful Morbin' footage

Morlun is an Inheritor, an interdimensional being, who feeds of Totemistic beings. He prefers eating Spider themed totemic beings.  

Articulation:
He's on A suit body with a torso overlay for his vest and coat. Translation: Reduced Torso articulation. Other than that, he poses rather well.
4.5
Spidey: How did you-?
Morlun: I have faced many spider totems before. I know how they fight, for I have devoured thousands of them.
Spidey: Oh yeah? How about this!


Paint and sculpt:
Aside the premaking Retro Series Animated Morbius hands, Morlun looks like a slightly undeader Morlun. Paintwise, there aren't any issues with him.
4.5

Accessories:
Extra slightly angrier head
BAF piece
Personally, a pair of fists were kinda needed for him.
4.5
Spidey: Spider-Sting! You dodged!?
Morlun: A modified shoryuken, how adorable and predictable.


Overall:
Mr. Morlun gets a 4.5 as his final score. For a Morlun figure he's decent enough. There could've been a few things that could be made to put him in a better spot, but Hasbro, Marvel or Disney would approve.
Spidey: urk!
Morlun: As I said, I have devoured thousands of Spider totems. But you, Peter Parker, you are like a Spider totem full of MSG...
Spidey: Mono Sodium Glutamate?
DD: No, he means Make Shit Good!
Morlun: An Uncle Roger Reference? How quaint.


But what's this!? A completely unrelated figure has entered the fray!? It's Armored DareDevil from the 90s! Since I've been unable to get a red Hasbro DareDevil, this will be my default DareDevil then.

Do I need to explain DareDevil? Matt Murdock, got blinded by a weird ooze, the ooze gave him superpowers. Grew up to be a lawyer, by night, he attempts to clean Hell's Kitchen, sorry Clinton, Manhattan, from crime. 
Morlun: Who are you supposed to be?
DD:I am the Terror-
Morlun:Ah, I know of this one, Darkwing Duck!
You even have the DD for Darkwing duck!
Spidey: Run, Hornhead! This guy is way too tough for you! He's way too tough for me and I'm stronger and faster than you!
DD: I do not fear him, Webhead. I am DareDevil, the man without Fear!
Morlun: In other words a fool.



Articulation
Matthew Murdock has standard Legends Articulation. Due to the unique sculpt in torso and shoulders, he lacks the Butterfly shoulders,  which are useful points of articulation for DareDevil. Warning: I had to use the hairdryer trick to get his feet moving, despite having the figure for over a year to acclimate to mu house's temperature. I had to pop the feet off in order to unstick the ankle pins with a small flathead screwdriver.
4.0
DD: Batter u- How did you!?
Morlun: I am the Apex predator, capable of handling fast prey like Parker. Fighting a man without superpowers is a piece of cake.
Spidey: I have only one chance. Hey Morlun, Martha sends her regards!
Morlun: Martha? What does that mean?
DD: WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!?



Paint and sculpt
DD uses some old parts and new parts to achieve the armored look. It seems that only the Matt head and feet are old parts.
The paint is decent on this figure between the shiny metallic candy red and matte blacks, the figire really pops. I wish the silver plastic had gotten a coat of paint to match the painted thigh armored panels.
4.5
Morlun: Oh. No. I. Am. Trapped. In. Webs. How. Will. I. Ever. Get. Out?
DD: He's making fun of you, you know? Why are you carrying me out of here?
Spidey: This guy is way out of your league! And mine!
DD: Wuss...
Spidey: Shut up, Meg! Oh wait, you haven't seen Family Guy.
DD: Make fun of the blind guy, how ableost of you!


Accessories
Extra hands
Matt Murdock head
Alternate bracers (without billy club)
2 piece billy club

This version of DareDevil stores his billy club on his wrist bracers and they double as forearm armor. Having the option to use the billy club as weapon or as armor is cool. Only issue is that they're not to scale.
4.0
Spidey: Thank you for stalling that guy, Matt...
DD: No problem Peter... Hmm, can you hear that?
Spidey: Normal hearing here, Matt...
DD: It sounds like Forensic Scientist Carlie Cooper is having some wild sex with... that sounds like Felicia Hardy, the Black Cat!
Spidey: Wait, how do you know that?
DD: I can recognize their heartbeats... wait, I sense ANOTHER Peter Parker in the room with them!?
Spidey: Crap on a hat... clones I hate clones! Wait that's it! Feeding on a clone might mess up this Morlun dude!


Overall
This DareDevil is a DECENT figure at 4.17 as his score... it could've used a bit more care to make him better. I shouldn't have to disassemble figures to fix something that should have been done from the get-go. Hasbro should have taken better care to make sure that his billy clubs stayed in scale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment