Feb 26, 2023

Little Misfortune: the review: the rant

 YouTube has the algorithm working overtime by promoting the indie game Little Misfortune and I ended up buying the game on Switch, becauae it was on sale and I had some Nintendo points, which made the $7 game (normally at $20) into a $5 and change game. The game is made in Unity (curiously, one of the very popular engines used to make adult games for PC. Yes, I know because I play them, alright?) The game is somewhere between a visual novel and a point and click game. I mention this, because not all indies are the same and they can vary between awesome and crap, like AAA games, but theoretically far cheaper... 

Personally I'm not a huge fan of indie games, this is due to many of them being pure and unadulterated hipster crap pretending to be games. Luckily for me, Little Misfortune isn't one of those.



Story:
You're Misfortune, an 8 year old girl who hears a voice in her head. The voice challenges her to a game and she embarks on an Adventure to locate The Eternal Happiness.
8.5

Graphics:
The graphics are very stylized and remind me of a children's picture book... Despite not being last gen, the simplicity of them suit their world perfectly.
9.5

Sounds and music:
The music does a great job of blending with the environment and gives off a late 80s/early 90s point and click game vibe, but without chiptune music. The voicework is really famcyyy... Mr. Voice reminds me a bit of the Narrator from Peppa pig, crossed with Little Kuriboh's Frieza voice from BBZA. Misfortune sounds like Ironmouse making a Scandinavian impression. 
9.5

Controls:
They are rather simple since the game behaves kinda like a point and click game, but your cursor is Misfortune Ramírez Hernández, a Swedish Latina. Sometimes you get to do some QTEs, but these are rare. They are pretty responsive, and you won't have any issues with them... unless you have controller drift issues.
10

Gameplay:
I already mentioned it being kinda like a hybrid between a visual novel and a point and click game with the Occasional Quick Timer Event. Basically, you are following the story and interacting with the universe when needed. Didn't get a Game Over on my first playthrough and I tried to.
7.0

Fun Factor:
The game isn't bad, but it offers very little repetitive value. I know it has at least two endings and I apparently got the best ending on my first try. There is some quirky and dark humor in the game and possibly the best fart joke in the history of video games.
So, I regretfully have to give it a 7.0

Overall:
Little Misfortune gets a Famcyyyyy 8.58 as its final score. The game is an enjoyable experience but I cannot fathom paying over $10 for it. 
Also, guess who has a cameo in the game...


No comments:

Post a Comment